I don't understand this definition of upper semi-continuity

• Thread starter moxy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the definition of upper semi-continuous function f: I → ℝ at x_0 ∈ I is equivalent to the statement that for any ε > 0 there exists a neighborhood U of x_0, relative to I, such that f(x) < f(x_0) + ε for all x ∈ U. This can be seen by using the definition of limsup and considering the behavior of f(x) around x_0.
moxy
Defn: [itex]f: I → ℝ[/itex] is upper semi-continuous at [itex]x_0 \in I[/itex] if [itex]f(x_0) ≥ \limsup{f(x_0)}[/itex].

The book goes on to say that "clearly" this is equivalent to saying,

For any [itex]ε > 0[/itex] there exists a neighborhood [itex]U[/itex] of [itex]x_0[/itex], relative to [itex]I[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) < f(x_0) + ε , \forall x \in U[/itex].

However, this isn't clear to me. Can someone please explain why these statements are equivalent?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is quite clearly equivalent. What definition of lim sup are you using? If it is not a epsilon-delta definition that may be why it is not obvious. Try writing the lim sup using epsilon-delta.
Informally we might say
f is upper semi-continuous if f(x+h) is not more than a little bigger that f(x)
f is lower semi-continuous if f(x+h) is not more that a little less than f(x)
f is continuous if f(x+h) is not more than a little different than f(x)

As the name implies semi-continuous if like half continuous

Gah. So in the first inequality, limsup f(x0) := limx-->x0 (sup f(x))?

limsupx-->x0 f(x) = L if for all ε>0 there exists δ>0 such that
f(x) < L + ε
whenever |x - x0| < δ

So, if we take limsup f(x) = L and f is usc at x0
==> f(x0) ≥ L

And by the defn of limsup, for any ε>0,
==> L > f(x) - ε

Then f(x0) ≥ L > f(x) - ε
==> f(x0) + ε > f(x)Clearly I'm having a lot of trouble with neighborhoods and limsups/liminfs. They haven't quite sunk in yet, I guess.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

1. What does "upper semi-continuity" mean?

"Upper semi-continuity" refers to a property of a mathematical function, where the function's graph does not have any sudden changes or jumps. This means that as the input value increases, the output value of the function either stays the same or increases, but never decreases suddenly.

2. How is upper semi-continuity different from continuity?

Continuity requires that a function has no sudden changes or jumps at any point, while upper semi-continuity only requires this property to hold for increasing input values. This means that a function can be upper semi-continuous without being continuous, but a function cannot be continuous without being upper semi-continuous.

3. Can you give an example of a function that is upper semi-continuous?

Yes, the function f(x) = x^2 is upper semi-continuous. As the input value x increases, the output value f(x) also increases or stays the same. For example, f(2) = 4, f(3) = 9, and f(4) = 16, showing that the function is continuous for increasing input values.

4. How is upper semi-continuity used in mathematics?

Upper semi-continuity is used in various branches of mathematics, such as real analysis, topology, and optimization. It is a useful property to have in functions because it allows for easier analysis and understanding of their behavior. In optimization, upper semi-continuity can help determine if a function has a minimum or maximum value.

5. What are the benefits of having a function be upper semi-continuous?

Having a function be upper semi-continuous can make it easier to study and analyze. It also allows for the use of certain mathematical tools and techniques, such as optimization algorithms, that rely on the function being continuous or upper semi-continuous. Additionally, upper semi-continuity can provide insight into the behavior and properties of a function.