"Imagine" a definite integral with a finite number of discontinuties

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of integrability of a function and how it relates to upper and lower areas. The definition of integrability according to Spivak's Calculus I is mentioned, and the goal is to show that the difference between upper and lower areas is less than a chosen value, epsilon. However, the difficulty lies in visualizing this concept, as it involves partitioning the interval and drawing rectangles that approximate the function. The conversation also touches on the difference between Riemann and Lebesgue integrability.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, I'm re-studying integrals and I got stuck with this problem. Actually the math beyond it is very clear but I still can figure it out.

Take this function:

##f(x) =
\begin{cases}
0, & x \lt 1 \\
1, & x = 1 \\
0, & x > 1
\end{cases}
##

According to Spivak's Calculus I, a function is integrable on ##[a, b]## (let's take ##[0, 2]## here) if ##inf \{ U(f, P) \} = sup \{ U(f, P) \} ##. Where ##P## is a partition of ##[a, b]## and ##U## means Upper areas, ##L## lower areas.

So, skipping some math, this means I have to show ##U(f, P) - L(f, P) < ε## for every ##ε > 0##.

It actually easy to show and I don't need an explanation on the math, but my problem is that I can't imagine it. I mean, let's try to draw Upper and Lower areas of this function. First wi divide ##[a, b]## into a finite number of parts and then we draw rectangles who approximate the function. It is clear that Lowe areas are always zero, so also upper areas has to be zero. But this means the partition of ##[a, b]## should exclude the point ##x = 1##, but if I exclude ##x = 1## then I'm not integrating over ##[0, 2]## but on ##[0, 1)## and ##(1, 2]##.

Sorry for all the "buts"...

Can someone help me this. I really can't imagine it

Physics news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
Hi, I'm re-studying integrals and I got stuck with this problem. Actually the math beyond it is very clear but I still can figure it out.

Take this function:

##f(x) =
\begin{cases}
0, & x \lt 1 \\
1, & x = 1 \\
0, & x > 1
\end{cases}
##

According to Spivak's Calculus I, a function is integrable on ##[a, b]## (let's take ##[0, 2]## here) if ##inf \{ U(f, P) \} = sup \{ U(f, P) \} ##. Where ##P## is a partition of ##[a, b]## and ##U## means Upper areas, ##L## lower areas.

So, skipping some math, this means I have to show ##U(f, P) - L(f, P) < ε## for every ##ε > 0##.

It actually easy to show and I don't need an explanation on the math, but my problem is that I can't imagine it. I mean, let's try to draw Upper and Lower areas of this function. First wi divide ##[a, b]## into a finite number of parts and then we draw rectangles who approximate the function. It is clear that Lowe areas are always zero, so also upper areas has to be zero. But this means the partition of ##[a, b]## should exclude the point ##x = 1##, but if I exclude ##x = 1## then I'm not integrating over ##[0, 2]## but on ##[0, 1)## and ##(1, 2]##.

Sorry for all the "buts"...

Can someone help me this. I really can't imagine it
What do you mean by an "upper area"?

206162-0369a9575eb18ef15c36597f037ac383.jpg

Sorry, I just found this pic online. The upper area is the yellow one, the lower is the green one (for a generic function).

Attachments

• int.png
    int.png
    4 KB · Views: 410
dRic2 said:
206162-0369a9575eb18ef15c36597f037ac383.jpg

Sorry, I just found this pic online. The upper area is the yellow one, the lower is the green one (for a generic function).
Suppose you choose an ε. Can you choose an interval containing x=1 such that the upper rectangle has an area less than ε?

tnich said:
Suppose you choose an ε. Can you choose an interval containing x=1 such that the upper rectangle has an area less than ε?
I think your problem might be in the definition of U(f, P). If you take U as the sum of the areas of the rectangles corresponding to partitition P, and then take inf U(f, P) to be the infimum over all partitions P, Spivak's definition of integrable makes sense.

tnich said:

Of curse you can.

tnich said:
Spivak's definition of integrable makes sense.

As I said, I understood it. I just can't imagine it. For example let it be ##[0, 2] = [0, 1-\frac ε 3] + (1-\frac ε 3, 1+\frac ε 3] + (1+\frac ε 3, 2]##. It follows naturally that ##U - L < ε## for every ##ε > 0##. But, since it has to be true for every ε, how can you draw it? You can't because you will end up drawing a vertical line in x = 1 (otherwise there will always be an infinitesimally small rectangle with area greater than zero) and if you draw a line in x = 1 than it means that ##ε/3## has to be 0... but ε can't be 0 because it has to be ##ε > 0##

Maybe it a stupid thing but I can't understand it.

fresh_42 said:
I think, this is worth reading in this context:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/omissions-mathematics-education-gauge-integration/
especially w.r.t. the difference between Riemann and Lebesgue integrability.

Thank you, I read it, but I'm not very familiar with non-Riemann integrals because I'm an engineering student. I recently decided to re-study calculus to get a deeper understanding, but I didn't even study Lebesgue integrals in my 3 years as undergrad... (and I don't think there will be any more mathematics classes)

dRic2 said:
I just can't imagine it. For example let it be ##[0, 2] = [0, 1-\frac ε 3] + (1-\frac ε 3, 1+\frac ε 3] + (1+\frac ε 3, 2]##. It follows naturally that ##U - L < ε## for every ##ε > 0##. But, since it has to be true for every ε, how can you draw it? You can't because you will end up drawing a vertical line in x = 1 (otherwise there will always be an infinitesimally small rectangle with area greater than zero) and if you draw a line in x = 1 than it means that ##ε/3## has to be 0... but ε can't be 0 because it has to be ##ε > 0##
You seem to be imagining it quite vividly, and from your lucid explanation, I would guess you are quite good at math. What you seem to be stuck on is the concept of limits. This is the big leap that everyone has to make in understanding calculus. If you are comfortable with limits in other contexts (derivatives for example), you might try to draw an analogy with this problem. If not, keep working on those limit proofs until they start to make sense to you.

Likes dRic2
Thank you.

tnich said:
What you seem to be stuck on is the concept of limits. This is the big leap that everyone has to make in understanding calculus.

I think you are right... I started to think I was missing something more profound and I thought of that too. I guess I will have to study limits again and more profoundly
:smile:

I think I solved my problem by seeing ##\int^2_0 f(x) dx## as

##\lim_{b \rightarrow 1^-} \int^b_0 f(x) dx + \int^1_1 f(x) dx + \lim_{a \rightarrow 1^+} \int^2_a f(x) dx = \lim_{b \rightarrow 1^-} \int^b_0 f(x) dx + 0 + \lim_{a \rightarrow 1^+} \int^2_a f(x) dx##

So the partition of ##[0, 2]## that satisfies ##inf \{ U(f, P) \} = sup\{ L(f, P) \}## is ##P = [0, 1) + [1, 1] + (1, 2] = [0, 2]##

Is that correct?

dRic2 said:
I think I solved my problem by seeing ##\int^2_0 f(x) dx## as

##\lim_{b \rightarrow 1^-} \int^b_0 f(x) dx + \int^1_1 f(x) dx + \lim_{a \rightarrow 1^+} \int^2_a f(x) dx = \lim_{b \rightarrow 1^-} \int^b_0 f(x) dx + 0 + \lim_{a \rightarrow 1^+} \int^2_a f(x) dx##

So the partition of ##[0, 2]## that satisfies ##inf \{ U(f, P) \} = sup\{ L(f, P) \}## is ##P = [0, 1) + [1, 1] + (1, 2] = [0, 2]##

Is that correct?
I think that works as a way of visualizing the limiting behavior. However, the definition of integrability that you cite really depends on partitions of segments with non-zero lengths. If you can make a zero length interval to deal with any discontinuity, then you can make the inf equal to the sup for any function.

You are right. This seems to work even with a function with an infinite number of discontinuity... and that's wrong, of course. I'll keep thinking about it

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two specific points on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is a fundamental tool in calculus.

2. What are discontinuities?

Discontinuities refer to points on a graph where the function is not continuous, meaning it has a break or jump in its value. This can occur when there is a sharp turn or hole in the graph, or when the function is undefined at a certain point.

3. How do you calculate a definite integral with discontinuities?

To calculate a definite integral with discontinuities, you can use the properties of integrals to break it into smaller integrals, each of which can be solved separately. You can also use the fundamental theorem of calculus, which allows you to calculate the definite integral by finding the antiderivative of the function.

4. Can a definite integral have an infinite number of discontinuities?

Yes, a definite integral can have an infinite number of discontinuities. This can occur when the function has an infinite number of sharp turns or holes, or when the function is undefined at an infinite number of points within the given interval.

5. How do discontinuities affect the value of a definite integral?

The presence of discontinuities can affect the value of a definite integral, as the area under the curve may not be continuous and may have jumps or breaks. This can result in the integral having a different value than if the function were continuous. In some cases, the integral may not exist if the discontinuities are too large or too frequent.