I don't understand this estimation lemma example

In summary, the conversation discusses using the estimation lemma and the fact that |z^2 + 1| \geq |z|^2 - 1 to show that the contour integral over the top semicircle C_R tends to zero. The parameterization of the curve C_R is given by e^{iz} and the step where e^{iz} 'goes to' e^{-Rsin(t)} is explained. There is a question about the estimation lemma and a clarification is given that the correct step should be \frac{\pi R}{R^2 - 1} instead of \frac{2\pi R}{R^2 - 1}.
blahblah8724
I don't understand this estimation lemma example :(

We are given the 'curve',

SUtPh.png

And part of the example is showing that the contour integral over the top semicircle [itex]C_R[/itex] tends to zero.

Apparently we use the estimation lemma and the fact that, [itex] |z^2 +1| \geq |z|^2 - 1 [/itex] to show,

[itex]\left| \int_{C_R} \frac{e^{iz}}{z^2 + 1} dz \right| \leq \int_0^\pi \frac{e^{-Rsin(t)}}{R^2 - 1} dt \leq \frac{2\pi R}{R^2 - 1} \to 0[/itex] as [itex] R \to \infty [/itex]

However I don't understand the part where [itex] e^{iz} [/itex] 'goes to' [itex] e^{-Rsin(t)} [/itex], is this some sort of parameterisation on the curve [itex] C_R [/itex]?

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Note that

[itex]|e^{a+bi}|=|e^a||e^{bi}|=e^a[/itex]

Now write out

[tex]e^{iz}=e^{iR(\cos(t)+i\sin(t))}[/tex]

micromass said:
Note that

[itex]|e^{a+bi}|=|e^a||e^{bi}|=e^a[/itex]

Now write out

[tex]e^{iz}=e^{iR(\cos(t)+i\sin(t))}[/tex]

Ah thank you that makes sense, but then for the next '[itex] \leq [/itex]' step surely as the arclength of [itex] C_R [/itex] is [itex] \pi R [/itex] and as [itex] e^{-Rsin(t)} [/itex] is always less than 1 for [itex] t \in [0,\pi] [/itex], then by the estimation lemma it should be [itex] \frac{\pi R}{R^2 - 1} [/itex] instead of [itex] \frac{2\pi R}{R^2 - 1} [/itex]?

1. What is an estimation lemma?

An estimation lemma is a mathematical concept that allows for the approximation of a complex problem by breaking it down into simpler, more manageable parts. It involves using known information to make educated guesses about unknown values.

2. How is an estimation lemma used?

An estimation lemma is used to simplify complex mathematical problems and make them more approachable. It can also be used to verify the correctness of a solution by comparing the estimated values to the actual values.

3. What is the purpose of using an estimation lemma?

The purpose of using an estimation lemma is to make complex problems more manageable and easier to solve. It can also help to provide a better understanding of the problem and its solution.

4. Can an estimation lemma be used in any field of science?

Yes, an estimation lemma can be used in any field of science where there are complex problems that need to be simplified. It is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and computer science.

5. Are there any limitations to using an estimation lemma?

There are some limitations to using an estimation lemma. It relies on assumptions and approximations, so the estimated values may not always be accurate. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of problems and may not provide a complete solution.