I don't understand what causes redox reactions to occur.

1. For example, on this website http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/redoxeqia/combinations.html in the second diagram from the top, it shows that *if a high resistance voltmeter is placed between two pieces of metal, zinc and copper, the zinc metal will accumulate a build up of electrons.* Then when the resistance is relieved, the electrons will necessarily flow to the copper metal, which I understand.

What I'm confused about is: why do electrons build up on the zinc metal in the first place, and where do the electrons come from?

Thank ya.

2. jcsd
  3. Borek

Staff: Mentor

This is exactly the same question you can ask for every chemical reaction - why does it go the way it does. Short answer is - because it is thermodynamically favorable. In most cases that means that products have lower energy than reactants (although this is oversimplification).

From the half reaction - Zn "prefers" to be in the ionic form, and some of the atoms "jump" into solution leaving their electrons in the bulk of the metal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook