Check my understanding of voltage please

• Thread starter user111_23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, when a chemical reaction occurs in a battery, it causes the zinc to become negatively charged and the copper rod to become positively charged. This creates an electric field that resists the flow of electrons from the positive to the negative terminal. The chemical reaction does work on the charges, which is measured as voltage. Work and energy are fundamental concepts in physics, and are present in various forms such as electric, magnetic, mechanical, thermal, electromagnetic, and chemical. Therefore, it is correct to say that work is involved in the operation of batteries and other energy conversion devices. Although the concept of work may seem circular, it is an important aspect in understanding the principles of physics.
user111_23
From what I understand, when a chemical reaction within the battery occurs, the zinc becomes negatively charged and the copper rod becomes positively charged. When an electron flows from "+" to "-", it is resisted by the electric field by the negative terminal. The chemical reaction does "work" (that word makes me cringe) on the charges to move it to the negative terminal. That amount of work per unit of charge is voltage.

I'm a physics newbie, so please bear with me! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Very good. It does indeed take work to achieve this. Why does the word "work" make you cringe? If I could summarize all of physics in one word, "work" or "energy" would be that word.

Work/energy is what physics is all about. It manifests itself in 6 domains, electric, magnetic, mechanical, thermal, electromagnetic/photon, & chemical.

"Work" is the correct way of looking at batteries and any other energy conversion device.

Claude

Work isn't really that bad, it's just that work and energy are circular concepts. But I can live with that. :smile:

FAQ: Check my understanding of voltage please

1. What is voltage?

Voltage, also known as electric potential difference, is the measure of the potential energy difference between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is voltage related to current?

Voltage and current are directly proportional. This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, and a decrease in voltage will result in a decrease in current, as long as the resistance remains constant.

3. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is the volt (V), named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta.

4. How is voltage measured?

Voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a type of electrical measuring instrument. It is connected in parallel to the circuit and displays the voltage in volts (V).

5. Why is understanding voltage important?

Understanding voltage is important because it is a crucial concept in electricity and is necessary for the proper functioning of electrical circuits. It is also essential in ensuring the safety of individuals working with electricity.

Back