I found an interesting math result, but now I see a contradiction

In summary, the conversation discussed an article that claimed to have found a solution to the halting problem, but later discovered a contradiction. The error was described in a linked article, which also presented a new paradigm for mathematics. However, the article was found to reference a prior article that was based on faith rather than science, leading to the thread being closed by a mentor.
porton
TL;DR Summary
I found an interesting math result ("halting problem is essentially solvable") yesterday, but now I see a contradiction (it follows "halting problem is solvable"). Participate in finding my error.
I found an interesting math result ("halting problem is essentially solvable") yesterday, but now I see a contradiction (it follows "halting problem is solvable"). Participate in finding my error.

Here is my short yesterday article (with links to other yesterday articles):

[Unacceptable reference redacted by the Mentors]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I've found an error myself:

In the linked article [Unacceptable reference redacted by the Mentors] I describe the error in bold font.

The linked article nevertheless had another valid very interesting result that replaces the paradigm that mathematics is theorem proving by another paradigm.

You have a new release of mathematics.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
I glanced at the article, and found that it referenced your prior article on using Peano Arithmetic to avoid Godel's incompleteness result ##-## the only 'support' in that article for your contention was 'faith'; not science. Please understand that PF is a set of forums for science; not for exploring faith-based ideas about scientific and mathematical matters. Please read the guidelines, and if you have questions or concerns about any of them, please PM one of the Mentors.

Likes berkeman, jedishrfu and PeroK
And with that helpful reply by @sysprog the thread is now closed.

Likes sysprog

1. What could have caused the contradiction in my math result?

There are several possible reasons for a contradiction in a math result. It could be due to an error in your calculations, a mistake in your assumptions or definitions, or a flaw in your reasoning. It is important to carefully check your work and make sure all steps are correct before drawing any conclusions.

2. Should I abandon my initial math result if I find a contradiction?

Not necessarily. It is important to first identify the source of the contradiction and determine if it is a significant error or a minor mistake. If the contradiction is due to a small error, it may be possible to correct it and still support your initial result. However, if the contradiction is a result of a fundamental flaw, it may be necessary to reconsider your initial result.

3. How can I prevent contradictions in my math results?

To avoid contradictions in your math results, it is important to carefully check your work and assumptions, use clear and precise definitions, and follow logical and consistent reasoning. It can also be helpful to have someone else review your work and provide feedback.

4. Can a contradiction in my math result be a valuable discovery?

Yes, a contradiction in a math result can be a valuable discovery. It may lead to new insights and understanding, or it may reveal flaws in current theories and open up new avenues for research. It is important to thoroughly investigate the contradiction and its implications before drawing any conclusions.

5. What should I do if I cannot resolve the contradiction in my math result?

If you are unable to resolve the contradiction in your math result, it may be helpful to seek advice from other mathematicians or experts in the field. They may be able to provide new perspectives and insights that can help you identify the source of the contradiction and find a resolution. It is also important to continue exploring and researching the topic to gain a deeper understanding of the issue.