Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I found out new proof of Pythagorean theorem , how can I publish it ?

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    Hello, I know that ,their is more than 97 proofs for Pythagorean theorem .

but I think that I found new one ! which is very beautiful , also , this proof show us the relation between 2 branches of maths , and how can we look to one object by diffrent ways , also this proof shows us that we can play with the theorems !!

I really wonder How can I publish something like this in a scientific magazine ?!

I found it more than 6 months , but I prefered to keep it secret , but now , I prefer to publish it .

also , I have found out another proof for Pythagorean theorem !!
    and the second one is so simple !!! I can't believe that no one hadn't thought in something like this before !!!!

also , I find out new proof for a special case when the two angels equals 45 degrees

so I have 2 proofs for the general cases , one proof for a special case ,

any ideas of how can I publish this ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2
    Write the scientific paper. Put it on arxiv. Send to some university or perhaps "New Scientist" can help you? :)

If you don't mind I would love to see it ! And I promise I wont steal ;) Besides - There's nothing to gain from that :) Any new proofs of the pythagorean are simply just curiosities :) So don't be too afraid to show it around :)

However if you do come across the proof of "N = NP ?" Then don't tell anyone !!! :D

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3
    Good job with the proofs! Are you certain that no one has found these proofs before?

5. Nov 14, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sorry to say it, but no professional journal is going to be very interested in a proof of this.

However, there might be other journals where you can publish your proof. For examples, math teachers and educators often have journals as well where they publish articles. I think your proof might be interesting enough to publish there!

6. Nov 14, 2012 #5
    and what does
    N = NP
    denotes for ?!

can you expalin ?

7. Nov 14, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

8. Nov 14, 2012 #7
    It was a joke :)

"N = NP?" is one of the big mathematical problems in computer science. You can read more about it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P_versus_NP_problem

But it has nothing to do with your proof :)
    And as micromass says: I don't think any professional journal will want to publish it.

9. Nov 14, 2012 #8
    I searched too much , I found a proof which is simmilar to mine , but the main Idea of my proof is so diffrent , but they are quite simmilar ,

this proof which is simmilar to mine was found out by proffesor Michail Hardy in 1998 !!
    he is a proffesor in one of american universties , he published it in a magazin called " Mathematical intellegence "

10. Nov 14, 2012 #9
    in this case !maybe, I prefer to not publish it !

but can I know why is it not interesting ?

11. Nov 14, 2012 #10
    ok :)

there are other theorems which I have new proof for it , but , I don't know the right english words to talk about it , I will try to talk about these one later ,

12. Nov 14, 2012 #11

Hepth

Gold Member

13. Nov 14, 2012 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If your proof is valid, and generally new, I certainly think that several journals might be interested to publish it as an amusing curiosity.

14. Nov 14, 2012 #13
    I hope it's not too far away from the topic. But in general, if you happen to get indisposed and unable to present new scientific ideas, wouldn't they get lost again?

I think it's the moral duty to discuss new ideas and make sure that they're not lost.

But you probably find out that the interest in new ideas is such, that nobody wants to steal them. On the contrary, it's probably very hard to sell them.

15. Nov 14, 2012 #14
    How about publishing it in "Mathematical Intelligencer"?

16. Nov 14, 2012 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We're talking about a proof of the Pythagorean theorem here, not some kind of revolutionary new mathematical theory that will change mathematics forever. There is no moral duty about discussing a theorem which has been known for thousands of years.

17. Nov 14, 2012 #16
    It's not the theorem that's new, it's the proof.

18. Nov 14, 2012 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I know. The same remark holds. Nobody is going to be seriously interested in a proof of a mathematical theorem that is thousands years old. It's a nice curiosity, that's all. Things like "moral duty" is not applicable here.

19. Nov 14, 2012 #18
    Then how come 97 proofs got published?

20. Nov 14, 2012 #19

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

21. Nov 14, 2012 #20

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Where did they get published?? In a research journal of mathematics?? I kind of doubt that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook