I have a exponetial graph but how do I calculate results?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Newbie_
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Newbie_
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have a set of data by HPLC that will only fit in an exponential plot in excel.

If I was to use a linear graph I would use y=mx+c but the data will NOT fit into a linear plot.

Homework Equations



The R2 for the exponential graph = 0.9973

y=0.0044e(0.0017x)

where (0.0017x) is superscript.

The Attempt at a Solution



I have a value for my recovery that I can read off the graph but don't know how to convert this to ug (I can do this if the graph is linear).

I have plotted µg vs peak response.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Newbie_ said:

Homework Statement



I have a set of data by HPLC that will only fit in an exponential plot in excel.

If I was to use a linear graph I would use y=mx+c but the data will NOT fit into a linear plot.

Homework Equations



The R2 for the exponential graph = 0.9973

y=0.0044e(0.0017x)

where (0.0017x) is superscript.

The Attempt at a Solution



I have a value for my recovery that I can read off the graph but don't know how to convert this to ug (I can do this if the graph is linear).

I have plotted µg vs peak response.

Thanks!
Hello Newbie_ . Welcome to PF !

Take the natural logarithm, Ln, of both sides of y=0.0044e(0.0017x) .

If you graph Ln(y) versus x, the graph should be a straight line.
 
OK thanks for the info + welcome.

I have plotted concentraion (µg) vs ln response and the line is linear.

However I'm a bit confused about reading results from the graph ie

y=0.0017x-5.4289

My ln of the value I want to read off the graph = -2.57286965




If I did not use ln I would (although the values would not be -ve):

(-2.57286965-(-5.4289))/.0017




How do I calculate given that I have used ln?

ie when do I do the anti-ln? Or is the above calculation correct as I have taken the ln of all standard values + am using the ln of the recovery value?

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks again.
 
Last edited:
Newbie_ said:
(-2.57286965-(-5.4289))/.0017




.

I think this is correct as I have just put in a theoretical example and the "right" result came out. I could be wrong though :o

Thanks
 
If you have an exponential function of the form [tex]y=Ae^{kx}[/tex] for some constants A and k, then taking the log of both sides gives [tex]\ln(y)=\ln(Ae^{kx})[/tex][tex]=\ln(A)+\ln(e^{kx})[/tex][tex]=kx+\ln(A)[/tex]

So what we have plotted is [tex]y'=kx+\ln(A)[/tex] where [itex]y'=\ln(y)[/itex]

Now, the graph you have in your example is [itex]y'=0.0017x-5.4289[/itex] so if you want to find the y value of, say, at x=2, then plug x=2 into the equation to get [itex]y'=-5.4255[/itex] and since [itex]y'=\ln(y)[/itex] then [itex]e^{y'}=y[/itex] thus we get [itex]y=e^{-5.4255}=0.00440[/itex]

If we want it the other way around, that is to find the x value when y=3 for example, we can plug y=3 into the equation and re-arrange to solve for x, or we can re-arrange the equation to make x the subject right off the bat:

[tex]\ln(y)=kx+\ln(A)[/tex]

[tex]kx=\ln(y)-\ln(A)[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{\ln\left(\frac{y}{A}\right)}{k}[/tex]

So for y=3, A=0.0044, k=0.0017, we have [itex]x\approx 3838[/itex]