I have a problem regarding a momentum related question.

• Thread starter HazyMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary: Yes. Magnitude is more the physical description; absolute value is the mathematical function.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of momentum and how it is dealt with as a vector. The correct equation for the problem depends on whether the focus is on the direction or magnitude of momentum. The correct solution is determined to be p1=-p2, representing equal and opposite momentums before the crash. The cars are also determined to have equal and opposite momentum 0.12 seconds after the crash.
HazyMan
Homework Statement
A car travels at a velocity of 20 meters per second and has a mass of 1200 kilograms. This car crashes with another car, which travels in the opposite direction. What's the momentum of the OTHER car BEFORE the crash?
Relevant Equations
p1+p2=P, Pinitial=Pfinal
I managed to solve the exercise, but I'm not sure if it's correct or not. I came up with this: [tex]p1+p2=P[/tex] then [tex]p1+p2=0[/tex] then [tex]p1=-p2[/tex] and therefore i solved for p1 so that i could find p2, which is the NEGATIVE value of p1, according to the previous equation. I'm just concerned about this because although a source i found shows the same solution, ANOTHER source says that [tex]p1=p2[/tex] and NOT [tex]p1=-p2[/tex]. Which is the correct equation for the problem? I know momentum is dealt with as a vector so p1=p2 makes no sense to me, but if I'm wrong please help and enlighten me. Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
HazyMan said:
Problem Statement: A car travels at a velocity of 20 meters per second and has a mass of 1200 kilograms. This car crashes with another car, which travels in the opposite direction. What's the momentum of the OTHER car BEFORE the crash?
Relevant Equations: p1+p2=P, Pinitial=Pfinal

I managed to solve the exercise, but I'm not sure if it's correct or not. I came up with this: [tex]p1+p2=P[/tex] then [tex]p1+p2=0[/tex] then [tex]p1=-p2[/tex] and therefore i solved for p1 so that i could find p2, which is the NEGATIVE value of p1, according to the previous equation. I'm just concerned about this because although a source i found shows the same solution, ANOTHER source says that [tex]p1=p2[/tex] and NOT [tex]p1=-p2[/tex]. Which is the correct equation for the problem? I know momentum is dealt with as a vector so p1=p2 makes no sense to me, but if I'm wrong please help and enlighten me. Thanks for reading!

Momentum is a vector, so it has direction. For one-dimensional motion this amounts to having + for momentum one `direction and - for momentum in the other.

In this case ##p_1 = -p_2## in your problem.

However, you can also consider the magnitude of momentum. In this case you drop the ##\pm## and rely on a diagram to show the direction of each momentum. In this case you would have ##|p_1| = |p_2|## and as a shorthand can write ##p_1 = p_2##.

The important thing is that you know and understand the method you are using. I tend to use both, depending on the problem.

PeroK said:
Momentum is a vector, so it has direction. For one-dimensional motion this amounts to having + for momentum one `direction and - for momentum in the other.

In this case ##p_1 = -p_2## in your problem.

However, you can also consider the magnitude of momentum. In this case you drop the ##\pm## and rely on a diagram to show the direction of each momentum. In this case you would have ##|p_1| = |p_2|## and as a shorthand can write ##p_1 = p_2##.

The important thing is that you know and understand the method you are using. I tend to use both, depending on the problem.
I see. So, did i actually solve the problem correctly? Thank you for your response.

HazyMan said:
I see. So, did i actually solve the problem correctly? Thank you for your response.

I don't understand the problem. Do the cars end at rest immediately after the crash?

PeroK said:
I don't understand the problem. Do the cars end at rest immediately after the crash?
Oh, yes. 0.12 seconds after the crash they do rest.

HazyMan said:
Oh, yes. 0.12 seconds after the crash they do rest.

I guess that's trying to imply that the cars have equal and opposite momentum before the crash. In which case, you are correct.

Note that the phrase "equal and opposite" sums up what I was saying before: equal magnitude momentum but in opposite directions.

Likes HazyMan
PeroK said:
I guess that's trying to imply that the cars have equal and opposite momentum before the crash. In which case, you are correct.

Note that the phrase "equal and opposite" sums up what I was saying before: equal magnitude momentum but in opposite directions.
with magnitude are you referring to the absolute value?

HazyMan said:
with magnitude are you implying to the absolute value?

Yes. Magnitude is more the physical description; absolute value is the mathematical function.

Likes HazyMan

1. What is momentum and how is it related to physics?

Momentum is a physics concept that describes the quantity of motion an object has. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In other words, it is a measure of how difficult it is to stop an object's motion. Momentum is related to physics because it is a fundamental property of moving objects and is essential in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

2. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum of the system remains constant. This means that the initial momentum of all the objects in the system will be equal to the final momentum of the objects after a collision or interaction. This law of conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and is used to predict the motion of objects in various situations.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to the quantity of motion of an object moving in a straight line, while angular momentum is the quantity of motion of an object rotating around a fixed point. Linear momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while angular momentum is a vector quantity that also takes into account the rotational direction of the object.

4. How is momentum related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is directly proportional to the rate of change of momentum. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the change in its momentum. In other words, force is what causes an object to accelerate and change its momentum.

5. Can momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between objects during collisions or interactions. When two objects interact, the total momentum of the system will remain constant, but the individual objects may have different momentum values after the interaction. This transfer of momentum is essential in understanding the outcomes of collisions and the behavior of objects in motion.