Deriving the Equation for 2-D Elastic Collision Circle

In summary: Now I know how to get to this point: p1^2/(2m1) = (p1-x)+y^2/(2m1) + (x^2+y^2)/m2 (1)I can derive the target equation from there if I first change it to ((p1-x)2+y2)/(2m1) + (x2+y2)/(2m2).
Christoffelsymbol100

Homework Statement

Hi there! In this exercise, we are supposed to derive this formula for a 2-D elastic with two different masses:
(x-U*v1)^2 + y^2 = (Uv1)^2 (example, two billiard balls), the second mass is at rest. It's a equation which leads to a circle where all of the possible p2' lie on the circle.

v1 is the velocity, x and y are the components of p2 vector (the momentum of the second object after collision ),and U= m1*m2/(m1+m2) is the reduced mass.

Conversation of momentum in 2-D:

p1 (vector) = p1' (vector) + p2' (vector) with p2 = 0 (vector)

Conversation of kinetic energy:

p1^2/2m1 = p1'^2/2m1 + p2'^2/2m2

3. Attempt at solution

Now I know how to get to this point: p1^2/(2m1) = (p1-x)+y^2/(2m1) + (x^2+y^2)/m2 (1)

What I did, was to put my center of my frame of reference into the second object. There I can you some geometry to get p1' (momentum of object 1 after collision) = (p1-x) + y^2
And p2' (momentum of object 2 after collision)= x^2+y^2

I put those 2 into my conversation of kinetic energy equation which leads me to (1)[/B]

Now the problem I face is, that I don't know how to get from equation (1) to the equation from the beginning. I know it is simple algebra, but I've been trying now for 1,5 hour and can't get there. Other sources skip the step from (1) to the equation and just say it is like that.

Big thanks in advance for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Paumi said:
Now I know how to get to this point: p1^2/(2m1) = (p1-x)+y^2/(2m1) + (x^2+y^2)/m2 (1)
That's not dimensionally consistent. Do you mean
((p1-x)^2+y^2)/(2m1)
?

haruspex said:
That's not dimensionally consistent. Do you mean
((p1-x)^2+y^2)/(2m1)
?

Yes , sorry for that, it's ((p1-x)^2+y^2)/(2m1) like you said

Paumi said:
Yes , sorry for that
You have all those divisions by m1 and m2. In your target equation you have U instead. U involves the product of the two masses. What step does that suggest?

Likes gracy
I suppose that the m1m2 in U comes from adding the two fractions and the m1+m2 comes from dividing a m1+m2. I still don't get it though.

Paumi said:
I suppose that the m1m2 in U comes from adding the two fractions and the m1+m2 comes from dividing a m1+m2. I still don't get it though.
To arrive at the target equation, there's another alteration your equ 1 needs. Two of the terms have denominators 2m1, while the third has m2, no factor 2 in that case. That factor of 2 difference must be wrong. Please check your derivation of (1).
Having corrected that, I asked you what step you should take to get rid of those m denominators. I'm looking for a very simple answer, nothing complicated.
Another difference is that the target equation has a reference to v1, whereas (1) has a reference to p1. That's easily remedied too.
Just making incremental steps to approach the form of the target will get you there.

Likes gracy
There is a factor 2 at m2. I don't see where it is wrong. (I guess you corrected it)
And we'll you can write p1 to m1*v1. Look I tried all steps for hours now and I don't get it. I know that it is just simple steps but by now I would learn much more, if somebody could post the solution.

Paumi said:
There is a factor 2 at m2. I don't see where it is wrong. (I guess you corrected it)
And we'll you can write p1 to m1*v1. Look I tried all steps for hours now and I don't get it. I know that it is just simple steps but by now I would learn much more, if somebody could post the solution.
You wrote:
Paumi said:
I can derive the target equation from there if I first change it to ((p1-x)2+y2)/(2m1) + (x2+y2)/(2m2).
Are you saying you agree with that version, or do you still have (x2+y2)/m2 as the final term?
I know it's more work for you, but the way these forums operate is that you post your working and we try to spot where it goes wrong. So show us what you tried.

1. What is a 2-D elastic collision circle?

A 2-D elastic collision circle is a type of collision that occurs between two objects in a two-dimensional space where the objects move in a circular path. This type of collision is characterized by the conservation of kinetic energy and momentum.

2. How is the velocity of an object affected by a 2-D elastic collision circle?

In a 2-D elastic collision circle, the velocity of an object is affected by the velocity of the other object involved in the collision, as well as the angle at which the objects collide. The velocity of the objects after the collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and energy equations.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. In an inelastic collision, some energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

4. How does the mass of an object affect a 2-D elastic collision circle?

The mass of an object does not directly affect a 2-D elastic collision circle. However, the momentum and kinetic energy of the objects involved in the collision are influenced by their masses. Objects with larger masses will have a greater impact on the velocity and direction of the other objects after the collision.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life 2-D elastic collision circle?

A common example of a 2-D elastic collision circle is a game of pool or billiards. When the cue ball strikes the other balls on the pool table, the collision is considered to be elastic, as the kinetic energy and momentum of the balls are conserved. This can be observed as the balls continue to move and bounce off each other after the collision.