Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have always wondered if Photons are magnetic and if so are

1. Jul 10, 2015 #1
    I have always wondered if Photons are magnetic and if so are they affected by the geomagnetic field around the earth

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They are not.

4. Jul 10, 2015 #3
  5. Jul 10, 2015 #4

Drakkith

Their motion is not affected, but I think their polarization can be, if I read my2cts link correctly.

6. Jul 10, 2015 #5

jtbell

Faraday rotation applies to light traveling through a medium, not through a vacuum.

7. Jul 11, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

There is photon-photon scattering, but at such an incredibly low rate that it has never been observed (in vacuum), even with powerful lasers and extremely sensitive detectors.

Pair production has been observed indirectly, but that needs much higher energies so interactions with the magnetic field of earth don't work.

8. Jul 11, 2015 #7
    thank you for the response guys

9. Jul 11, 2015 #8
    Photons are the carriers of the electromagnetic force. Magnetism is the relativistic manifestation of the electric charge.

10. Jul 11, 2015 #9

Drakkith

A photon is a quantized portion of an EM wave, which has both electric and magnetic components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook