How does the earth's magnetic field stop radiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the control of photons by magnetic fields, the misunderstanding of photons with cosmic rays, and the different types of radiation including alpha, beta, gamma, and neutron. The conversation also touches on the distinction between electromagnetic radiation and other types of radiation, and the composition of the electromagnetic spectrum. The conversation also briefly mentions the potential for beta radiation in the human body.
Lunct
To my understanding, photons have no charge, so how does the magnetic field control them.

Also side question - in the diagrams I see the photons seem to kind of curve around the magnetic field, does that mean they are accelerating?

Likes ISamson
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Lunct said:
To my understanding, photons have no charge, so how does the magnetic field control them.

Also side question - in the diagrams I see the photons seem to kind of curve around the magnetic field, does that mean they are accelerating?
I think you are confusing photons with cosmic rays

Likes Stavros Kiri
Lunct said:

It doesn't. Earth's magnetic field stops charged particles like protons and electrons. The atmosphere is the main protection against high-energy EM radiation.

Lunct said:

I assume those are supposed to electrons or protons. Yes, they are accelerating as they curve around.

Likes Stavros Kiri
phinds said:
I think you are confusing photons with cosmic rays
is all radiation not made out of photons?

Lunct said:
Yes. I think you are confusing photons with cosmic radiation

Lunct said:

No. There are several different types of radiation. Alpha, beta, gamma, neutron, and others. See here for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation

Likes ISamson, davenn and Stavros Kiri
Drakkith said:
No. There are several different types of radiation. Alpha, beta, gamma, neutron, and others.
There you go, proving me wrong again dammit :smile:

@Lunct do you now understand your error?

Drakkith said:
No. There are several different types of radiation. Alpha, beta, gamma, neutron, and others. See here for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation
The more you know the more you don't know.

Likes Stavros Kiri
phinds said:
There you go, proving me wrong again dammit :smile:

@Lunct do you now understand your error?
yes. I feel enlightened

Lunct said:
yes. I feel enlightened
Me too. I ALWAYS seem to forget that "radiation" is no limited to photons and I for some reason don't associate "cosmic radiation" with "normal radiation" (normal being the kind that IS made up of photons).

And by the way, it's not really correct to say that electromagnetic radiation is made up of photons. It isn't. It's a wave. It only becomes photons if/when it interacts with matter.

Likes Stavros Kiri
phinds said:
Me too. I ALWAYS seem to forget that "radiation" is no limited to photons and I for some reason don't associate "cosmic radiation" with "normal radiation" (normal being the kind that IS made up of photons).

And by the way, it's not really correct to say that electromagnetic radiation is made up of photons. It isn't. It's a wave. It only becomes photons if/when it interacts with matter.
you're right, I always talk about it being photons even though I know it is a wave.

Also (relevant), it would help getting a good grasp and knowledge of the Electromagnetic spectrum (look it up) and its structure (composition). Starts with γ, X rays (radiation), which are actually EM radiation ... [Goes like: γ, X, ultraviolet, visible, infrared, microwaves, radio waves (as wavelength increases, or decreasing frequency) ...]

That will help put things in perspective and distinguish from other types of radiation.
[E.g. no other types of radiation are potentally related to / (composed of) photons, while EM types of radiation all do ...]

Last edited:
phinds said:
and I for some reason don't associate "cosmic radiation" with "normal radiation"

it's in the same class as your alpha and beta radiation ... protons and atomic nuclei

when growing up and before I had heard the term electromagnetic radiation
the "normal radiation" for me was that caused by nuclear decay alpha, beta, x-ray and gamma

I didn't know there were 2 separate classes there ... a and b / x and g

davenn said:
it's in the same class as your alpha and beta radiation...
Wait a minute. MY alpha and beta radiation? I thought I had gotten rid of those pesky things.

Likes sophiecentaur and davenn
phinds said:
Wait a minute. MY alpha and beta radiation? I thought I had gotten rid of those pesky things.
Beta is electrons. I'm sure you have a few! ...

phinds said:

alpha radiation is basically a helium nucleus, 2 protons and 2 neutrons
and as Stavros Kiri said, beta radiation is electrons

to be more specific, they are high speed /high energy electrons or positrons

Dave

Likes Stavros Kiri
davenn said:
to be more specific, they are high speed /high energy electrons or positrons
So he doesn't have any ... unless we put him in an accelerator! ...

Stavros Kiri said:
So he doesn't have any

who ?

davenn said:
who ?
Me. But don't even think about it !

Likes davenn and Stavros Kiri
davenn said:
who ?
phinds of course (read the previous) ...
e.g.
phinds said:
Stavros Kiri said:
Beta is electrons. I'm sure you have a few! .

Likes davenn
Stavros Kiri said:
phinds of course (read the previous) ...
e.g.
OK :smile: ... I initially didn't follow that ... too early in the morning :wink:

Likes Stavros Kiri
davenn said:
OK :smile: ... I initially didn't follow that ... too early in the morning :wink:
Yeah, yeah. Excuses, excuses. If you keep this up, you'll be as bad as @Drakkith :smile:

Likes davenn
davenn said:
We'll see you after coffee Dave ... :woot:
(Just kidding)

Stavros Kiri said:
So he doesn't have any ... unless we put him in an accelerator! ...
Why don't we?
davenn said:
who ?
phinds said:
Me. But don't even think about it !
Sounds like we have to fasten him with a rope first ... :smile:

Stavros Kiri said:
Why don't we?Sounds like we have to fasten him with a rope first ... :smile:
GGRRRRRRRRR !

Likes Stavros Kiri

What is the Earth's magnetic field?

The Earth's magnetic field is a force field that surrounds the planet and extends into space. It is generated by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's outer core.

How does the Earth's magnetic field protect us from radiation?

The Earth's magnetic field acts as a shield, deflecting and trapping charged particles from the sun and other sources of radiation. This prevents these particles from reaching the Earth's surface and harming living organisms.

What types of radiation does the Earth's magnetic field protect us from?

The Earth's magnetic field protects us from solar wind, which is a stream of charged particles from the sun, as well as cosmic rays, which are high-energy particles from outer space. It also helps to shield us from some types of radiation from the Earth's own atmosphere.

Is the Earth's magnetic field constant?

No, the Earth's magnetic field is not constant. It is constantly changing in strength and direction, and even has periods of complete reversal where the north and south poles switch places. However, these changes happen over long periods of time and do not significantly impact its protective abilities.

Can the Earth's magnetic field disappear?

It is highly unlikely that the Earth's magnetic field will completely disappear. However, it can weaken or fluctuate in strength, which may affect its protective abilities. Scientists are actively studying the Earth's magnetic field to better understand its behavior and potential changes.