What powers the quasar magnetic beams that power jets?

Summary:

what powers the quasar magnetic beams that power jets
I am reading up on quasars because I am interested in the magnetic beams that emanate from their poles, accelerating material.

I read that the magnetic beams are generated by the orbiting debris the quasar is consuming.

Sorry, that doesnt sound right to me. I assumed the blackhole core is generating a magnetic field just like the earth or sun. Magnetic fields are generated by iron, atomic nuclei, maybe spinning singularities as well? A magnetic field is not limited by the gravitational blackhole speed-of-light, because it is a field, no? Or does a blackhole prevent any magnetic field from extending beyond the event horizon? Really? Its really not making sense to me.

If the magnetic beam is generated by the singularity itself, there should be a relationship between blackhole size and magnetic beam strength, and this would affect the length of the accelerated material jets emanating from the quasar poles.

Answers and Replies

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I read that the magnetic beams are generated by the orbiting debris the quasar is consuming.

Sorry, that doesnt sound right to me.
Why not? The accretion disk near the event horizon is composed of very, very hot gas that has likely been completely ionized into a plasma. Just like the Sun, this hot plasma likely generates a magnetic field as it spirals down into the event horizon.

I assumed the blackhole core is generating a magnetic field just like the earth or sun. Magnetic fields are generated by iron, atomic nuclei, maybe spinning singularities as well?
Unlikely. The singularity is not a physical object, it is a mathematical point where our math breaks down and we can no longer make accurate predictions.

Thanks Drakkith. On another question I asked, I found out the accretion disks are the major light-emitting component of quasars, so now its fitting together. Thanks for your time.

I was under mistaken impression that majority of quasar light came from accelerated material in magnetic beams, thus i was puzzled by what was powering the magnetic beams.