I have question,The electron and hole concentration in a intrinsic

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mil
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have question,
The electron and hole concentration in a intrinsic semiconductor are n1 and p1 respectively.When doped with a p-type material these change to n and p repectively,then
a)n+p = n1+p1
b)n+n1= p+p1
c)np1 = n1p
d)np = n1p1

could anyone explain what would be the solution.
I am new to electronics and learning the concepts. I think the answer should be opton (b) as only electrons and holes can added before and after separately.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I think the Answer to your question should be (d).

When you start with the subject there is an explanation that product of the concentration of holes and electrons is always equal to a constant. Thus on addition of acceptor atoms there will be additonal holes which would alter the concentration of electrons also due to recombination but the fact that product of concentration is always a constant and is given by :- (For intrinsic semiconductor, n=p=[n(i)]^2 ) this constant always remains there !