1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I haven't taken any math class in over 10 year

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1
    I have signed up for a bunch of science classes this semester. One of which is university physics. It is math heavy and geared toward the math/engineering/science major folks.

The problem:
    I haven't taken any math class in over 10 years, and I have no trig or calc experience.

Will this class kill me or will I be OK if I work my rear off. I already spoke with the prof and she told me that I would need to teach myself calc along with the class and that it will be a rough go.

Am I just high on my horse, or should I be able to hang with kids right out of college? I should state that I have my undergrad in elementary education, but with virtually no emphasis on math or science.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

ETA: My reason for taking these classes at this time is to pick up my middle school science endorsement. I be endorsed in math and social studies with the classes I have already taken.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

I would highly recommend that you take the necessary mathematics before attempting it. BTW, even with the proper math, you'll still probably have to work your butt off! :wink:

CS

4. Jan 12, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the advise. I'm thinking it would probably add a couple years to my life should I just drop it and try desperately to add into another class or even take it in the summer. I will certainly let you guys know what I decide to do... Especially if I stay in the class.

5. Jan 12, 2009 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is what prerequisites and corequisites are for.

If you have the prerequisite courses, you should be fine.

If not (and it would be surprising that they allowing you to take the course if this is the case) you really should do the prerequisite work first - even if it adds a couple years to your life.

6. Jan 12, 2009 #5

djeitnstine

Gold Member

My advise to you is to drop it immediately. Because if you haven't the correct prerequisites you will fail it horrible. There are certain things assumed that you already know for the course. I don't mean to be pessimistic (I'm being realistic) but I've seen people with the correct prerequisites struggle with a course. In the end it's up to you of course. Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?