I in deciding my specialization

In summary, a civil engineering student from India with a CGPA of 8.5/10 is attending the University of Texas at San Antonio for a fall 2015 program. They are unsure of which specialization to choose for their graduation, but are currently working on improving their basics in structural engineering. They are also concerned about job opportunities in the US with a non-American resident F1 visa. It is important to pay attention to job advertisements and the nature of the job opening, as some may require permanent residency or citizenship. Internship opportunities may also be available, but it is rare for a company to offer a job and assist with permanent residency.
jahnavitadi
Hello everyone,
I am civil engineering student from India. I am done with my undergrad with a cgpa of 8.5/10 and applied for colleges in America. I will be attending University of Texas at San Antonio for fall 2015. I am confused on which specialization that i need to opt for my graduation. They have structural, transportation/geotechnical, water resources, environmental engineering. I am very weak in hydraulics and my basics in structures are average. But i am currently working on improving my basics in structural engineering too.Can some one please suggest me which course is in more demand in the U.S and which will help me get a job easily in the future. Also is it true that jobs in civil engineering are hard to get if the job applicant is a non american resident with f1 visa? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
jahnavitadi said:
Also is it true that jobs in civil engineering are hard to get if the job applicant is a non american resident with f1 visa?

It's impossible. An F-1 is a student visa. You will need a different kind of visa if you want a job.

Thank you Vanadiam 50.
I need a h1b visa to do a job. With f1 visa can i apply for a civil engineering job during the college interviews and still have a fair chance?
Vanadium 50 said:
It's impossible. An F-1 is a student visa. You will need a different kind of visa if you want a job.

Last edited by a moderator:
That depends on how good an engineer you are, doesn't it?

jahnavitadi said:
Thank you Vanadiam 50.
I need a h1b visa to do a job. With f1 visa can i apply for a civil engineering job during the college interviews and still have a fair chance?

When you are seeking a job here in the US, you need to pay attention to the job advertisement and the nature of the job opening. It will state whether the job being advertized will require that you already have the ability to be employed in the US. In fact, some will explicitly indicate that you must either have a permanent residency or citizenship status, meaning that they will not be working on your behalf to change your status.

In other cases, the job advertisement may offer you an "internship" period where they will apply an H1-B visa for you. Note however that this is a temporary employment visa that extends for a maximum period of 3 years. There is also a limited number of this visa issued each year.

Only in rare cases will an employer or the company offers you a job and help you get permanent residency. More often than not, this type of offer is made to those already holding the H1-B visa and already working for them.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes jahnavitadi
Thank you :-)
ZapperZ said:
When you are seeking a job here in the US, you need to pay attention to the job advertisement and the nature of the job opening. It will state whether the job being advertized will require that you already have the ability to be employed in the US. In fact, some will explicitly indicate that you must either have a permanent residency or citizenship status, meaning that they will not be working on your behalf to change your status.

In other cases, the job advertisement may offer you an "internship" period where they will apply an H1-B visa for you. Note however that this is a temporary employment visa that extends for a maximum period of 3 years. There is also a limited number of this visa issued each year.

Only in rare cases will an employee or the company offers you a job and help you get permanent residency. More often than not, this type of offer is made to those already holding the H1-B visa and already working for them.

Zz.

What is a specialization?

A specialization is a specific area or field of study within a broader subject or discipline. It allows you to focus on a particular aspect of a subject and develop expertise in that area.

Why is it important to choose a specialization?

Choosing a specialization allows you to gain in-depth knowledge and skills in a specific area, which can make you more competitive in the job market. It also allows you to pursue your interests and passions within your field of study.

How do I decide on a specialization?

Deciding on a specialization involves exploring your interests, strengths, and career goals. You can also speak with advisors, professors, and professionals in the field to gain insight into different specializations and their potential career paths.

What are some factors to consider when choosing a specialization?

Some factors to consider when choosing a specialization include your personal interests and strengths, job market demand for that specialization, potential career opportunities, and the availability of resources and support for that specialization at your institution.

Can I change my specialization?

Yes, it is possible to change your specialization, but it may require additional coursework and time. It is important to carefully consider your decision and consult with advisors before making any changes to your specialization.