I just need to work re-checked, current in solenoid

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the net magnetic field at a radial distance of 0.91 cm from a straight wire and a solenoid with specific dimensions and currents. The solution involves using the equation B = square root (Bw² + Bs²) and plugging in values for the wire and solenoid components. After solving, the answer is confirmed to be 1.54 mT.
FlipStyle1308
Here's the problem I am solving:

The current in a solenoid with 22 turns per centimeter is 0.50 A. The solenoid has a radius of 1.5 cm. A long, straight wire runs along the axis of the solenoid, carrying a current of 31 A. Find the magnitude of the net magnetic field a radial distance of 0.91 cm from the straight wire.

What I did was:

B = square root (Bw² + Bs²)
= square root [(μoIw/2πr)² + (μonIs)²]
= μo x square root [(Iw²/4π²r²) + (n²Is²)]
= (4π x 10^-7 Tm/A) x square root[(31A²/4π²(0.0091m)²) + (22cm^-1)²(100cm/1m)²(0.50A)²]

Can I get a confirmation that the answer is 1.54 mT? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you set it up correctly. What did you get for the contribution of each component (wire and solenoid)?

What does it mean to have "work re-checked" in a solenoid?

Having work re-checked in a solenoid means that the solenoid, which is a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field, needs to be inspected or tested again to ensure that it is functioning properly.

Why is it important to have the solenoid checked for current?

The current in a solenoid is what creates the magnetic field that allows it to function. If the current is not flowing properly, the solenoid may not be able to perform its intended task or may malfunction. Therefore, it is important to check the current in a solenoid to ensure its proper functioning.

What can cause a solenoid to need re-checking for current?

There are several reasons why a solenoid may need to be re-checked for current. It could be due to changes in the electrical circuit or power source, wear and tear on the solenoid, or malfunctioning components within the solenoid itself.

Can a solenoid still work if the current is not flowing properly?

In most cases, a solenoid will not function properly if the current is not flowing correctly. However, depending on the specific task and design of the solenoid, it may still work to some extent. It is always best to ensure that the current is flowing properly for optimal performance.

How often should a solenoid be checked for current?

The frequency of checking a solenoid for current will depend on its usage and environment. For high-use and critical applications, it may need to be checked more frequently, such as weekly or monthly. For less critical applications, it may only need to be checked every few months or once a year.