1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field outside a solenoid crossed by a current.

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A student makes an electromagnet by winding 320 turns of wire around a wooden cylinder of diameter 4,80 cm. The coil is connected to a battery producing a current of 4.20 A in the wire. At what axial distance z>>d will the magnetic field of this dipole be 5.0 μT?

2. Relevant equations
    Biot-Savard Law: (in vector form) B=(μ/4π) i(L x u)/r^2
    Maybe Ampère's Law: ∫Bds=μi

3. The attempt at a solution
    Unfortunately I can't even imagine how to integrate...
    I tried by using Ampère's Law on a circular path around the solenoid. I mean: imagine the solenoid and an imaginary circumference that lays on the same plane of the coils, then inside this circumference there's the current i. I actually treated it as a straight wire because the result is the same and it's wrong...

mhh, help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2012 #2
    Well... I did it...
    I got confused by "the axial distance", it meant measuring the distance along the z axis starting from the center of the coil (solenoid).
    Let's start from the general formula for a circular wire carrying a current i, [itex]B=\frac{µ_{0}iR^{2}}{2\left( R^{2}+z^{2} \right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/itex]. Then, we approximate this formula to the case z>>R, so that [itex]B=\frac{µ_{0}iR^{2}}{2z^{3}}[/itex]. This is the result for a singular coil, our solenoid is made by 320 coils whose magnetic dipole we can know. So, I get to [itex]B=\frac{µ_{0}i\pi R^{2}}{2\pi z^{3}}=\frac{µ_{0}i}{2\pi }\frac{Nµ}{z^{3}}[/itex]. From here it's easy to get z because we know B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook