I keep dreaming of my parent's place

  • Thread starter Thread starter plum
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
plum
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Well over half the dreams I have are set at my parent's place, which is the original home where I was raised. But I haven't lived there in 14 years. Anyone else experience this? What is my unconscious telling me? That I need to get in closer touch with them? Or is it just that my first 17 years were my most formative, so my unconscious keeps returning to those years like a boomerang?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
plum said:
Well over half the dreams I have are set at my parent's place, which is the original home where I was raised. But I haven't lived there in 14 years. Anyone else experience this? What is my unconscious telling me? That I need to get in closer touch with them? Or is it just that my first 17 years were my most formative, so my unconscious keeps returning to those years like a boomerang?
Don't bother to try to find any deep significance in this either way. That's the crackpot way of thinking (like Freud's ideas).

Just accept that most human affairs&concerns are too darn complicated to say anything scientific about.
 
plum said:
Well over half the dreams I have are set at my parent's place, which is the original home where I was raised. But I haven't lived there in 14 years. Anyone else experience this? What is my unconscious telling me? That I need to get in closer touch with them? Or is it just that my first 17 years were my most formative, so my unconscious keeps returning to those years like a boomerang?
I have periods when I have a lot of dreams all centered around the same place from my past. In my case I know there's no deep "meaning" to figure out: it's clear I just wish I were back there in that circumstance because I had something there I don't have where I am. In your case I'd bet what's prompting these dreams is that you are missing something about your time there you don't have anymore in your present circumstances.
 
I've had instances of dreaming of the same place over and over again. They're always somewhat fictional though. Even when I dream of places from my past they are always completely different in my dream than from what they really looked like in reality. The one that I have dreamt about the most is completely fictitious. It's also very extremely beautiful. If I ever found a real place like it I think that I would want to live there.
 
plum said:
Well over half the dreams I have are set at my parent's place, which is the original home where I was raised. But I haven't lived there in 14 years. Anyone else experience this? What is my unconscious telling me? That I need to get in closer touch with them? Or is it just that my first 17 years were my most formative, so my unconscious keeps returning to those years like a boomerang?

I would guess that you have been thinking about your home, or that something is reminding you of it, even if you haven't noticed. But consider yourself lucky. For years I dreamt about being attacked by a big wicker chair. And to this day you won't catch me near one of those evil things.

:biggrin: