Physics 'challenge' type problems, High School (16-18) level

In summary, the conversation discusses a search for resources on physics for students during the summer break. The nrich and IsaacPhysics websites are mentioned, as well as the Edcexel Synoptic papers. A request for suggestions leads to the recommendation of Jaan Kalda's "study guides" and the Schaum's Outlines Physics books.
rsk
Hi all
I've long been a fan of the nrich site for maths and in recent years it has started to add a section on physics here. I also like IsaacPhysics although I haven't used it much in the past year so am still trying to get used to the new layout.

I'm looking for other resources along this line, if anyone knows of any. Some of my students want (or their parents want them to) keep studying over the summer break and, rather than purely continuing to work through school course based stuff, I'd like to give them something different at times.

I've been looking through some of the old Edcexel Synoptic papers and while the questions are great for students at that stage, they tend to assume more knowledge than a student will have before they get to the end of that course.

My students are 16-17, so either about to begin their two year IB/A-level courses, or midway through them.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Likes berkeman
Science news on Phys.org
Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman and rsk
Ooh, thank you, lots to look at there.

Likes berkeman and ergospherical
The Schaum's Outlines Physics books are fairly good.

1. What is the difference between a "challenge" type physics problem and a regular problem?

A "challenge" type physics problem typically involves a complex scenario or real-world application that requires multiple steps and critical thinking to solve. These types of problems often require students to apply their knowledge of various physics concepts rather than simply using a formula to find an answer.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for challenging physics problems?

Practice is key when it comes to improving problem-solving skills in physics. It is important to have a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and to approach problems systematically, breaking them down into smaller, more manageable steps. Working with peers or a tutor can also help identify areas for improvement.

3. What strategies can I use to effectively approach a challenging physics problem?

One effective strategy is to start by identifying what is given and what is being asked in the problem. Then, draw a diagram or visualize the scenario to better understand the problem. Next, determine which physics principles or equations are relevant and apply them to solve for the unknown. Finally, double-check your solution and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. How can I apply my knowledge of physics concepts to real-world scenarios in "challenge" type problems?

One way to apply physics concepts to real-world scenarios is to break down the problem into smaller, more familiar parts. For example, if a problem involves calculating the speed of a moving object, think about the basic equation for speed (speed = distance/time) and how it applies to the given situation. Additionally, it can be helpful to draw diagrams or use real-life examples to make the problem more tangible.

5. How can I check my work and ensure that I have solved a challenging physics problem correctly?

The best way to check your work is to go back through each step of your solution and make sure it aligns with the given information and follows the principles of physics. Also, double-check your calculations and make sure you have used the correct units. If possible, try to solve the problem using a different approach to see if you get the same result. Finally, make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.