I lost 10/100 points on a physics exam

In summary: I once lost 20 out of 25 points for sloppiness. I was rushed on the final problem and in the intensity of the moment my mind when into overdrive in an adrenalin rush. I...made a mistake.In summary, Jack and Danny bring up good points. If you were the teacher, you would have done the same. The problem had 20 points overall, and I got only 10. If it was Math, I would say OK, I didn't finish the calculations, I deserve it. But it's Physics we are talking about, It was just a number which I didn't analyze more, nothing else, and that's what's bothering me, the whole logic was correct. I
kliker
and that's because i didnt finish the calculations on the second exercice

i had a square root of something and i left it like this, she told me that i had to calculate the square root too, but i didnt have the time and that's why i left it like this

if you were the teacher would you do the same?

i feel really dissapointed

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dude its 10 points. Get over it.

Oh and if I were the teacher of course I would do the same. You didn't finish the problem, therefor you do not get all the points.

MotoH said:
Dude its 10 points. Get over it.

Oh and if I were the teacher of course I would do the same. You didn't finish the problem, therefor you do not get all the points.

I hate it when I lose points for no serious reason.

the problem had 20 points overall, and I got only 10, if it was Math, I would say OK, I didn't finish the calculations, I deserve it.

But it's Physics we are talking about, It was just a number which I didn't analyze more, nothing else, and that's what's bothering me, the whole logic was correct.

Last edited:
kliker said:
I hate it when I lose points for no specific and serious reason.

the problem had 20 points overall, and I got only 10, if it was Math, I would say OK, I didn't finish the calculations, I deserve it.

But it's Physics we are talking about, It was just a number which I didn't analyze more, nothing else, and that's what's bothering me, the whole logic was correct.

I think you might be missing a very important concept in physics- the fact that it is the analysis and interpretation of the results (with units) that IS physics. The intermediate steps are math, not physics.

Now, maybe 10 points was a lot for what you are claiming is a small part of the problem (we cannot really know since we don't know the problem nor do we know where you left the solution at), but as long as the grading was consistent for everyone you don't really have anything to complain about.

In most classes I've been in, if you leave the answer in the form of something like "7√2" instead of "9.899," it's either acceptable or preferable.

Did the teacher tell you beforehand in what notation to put the answer?

Jack21222 said:
In most classes I've been in, if you leave the answer in the form of something like "7√2" instead of "9.899," it's either acceptable or preferable.

Did the teacher tell you beforehand in what notation to put the answer?

no she didn't

Probably had to put units after it so it wasnt actually a valid answer? Just got your marks for the working out?

Jack21222 said:
In most classes I've been in, if you leave the answer in the form of something like "7√2" instead of "9.899," it's either acceptable or preferable. ...

Jack and Danny bring up good points.

Maybe your answer would have been better represented/understood by using decimal notation? A solution of "9.899 ml" makes more sense than "7√2 ml" with regards to volume.

7√2 is an awfully exact answer. Depending on the level of the class (coupled with the likelihood that this is the first exam of the semester), significant digits might have also been important. Your answer should not be more exact than the inputs to the problem

the answer was something like this sqrt(83*10^-15)

kliker said:
and that's because i didnt finish the calculations on the second exercice

i had a square root of something and i left it like this, she told me that i had to calculate the square root too, but i didnt have the time and that's why i left it like this

if you were the teacher would you do the same?

You didn't have time to punch in four or five buttons on the calculator?

Personally, If I were grading this, you would have missed two points, or three: One for not finishing the calculation, one for not showing significant figures, and one more if the unit was not shown. I would have a hard time justifying the loss of ten points, since there is "no point" to scoring the other points.

But let this pass and get better. That's what really matters.

kliker said:

I know the feeling.

I once lost full credit on 1 problem of a 4 problem test. I did 2 pages of derivations and at one step in the middle I miswrote a cube root as a square root. This mistake then passed into the final answer. I had full understanding, correct derivation and one tiny error, but no points. That's life.

I once lost 20 out of 25 points for sloppiness. I was rushed on the final problem and in the intensity of the moment my mind when into overdrive in an adrenalin rush. I worked at lightning speed and got everything 100% correct. I knew the material, did the problem correctly and did it faster than anyone else in the class. But, I got 5 out of 25 points. That's life.

It's only later in life that I understand the lessons. A mistake in an engineering calculation can kill someone and work that is not understandable to someone else is useless. Those are just some facts of life.

1. Why did I lose 10/100 points on my physics exam?

There could be several reasons why you lost 10/100 points on your physics exam. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the material, careless mistakes, or not studying enough. It's important to review your exam and identify where you went wrong to improve in the future.

2. Is it normal to lose 10/100 points on a physics exam?

It depends on the difficulty of the exam and your own level of understanding. Losing 10/100 points may be considered normal for some students, while for others it may be a significant loss. It's important to aim for your personal best and not compare yourself to others.

3. How can I prevent losing points on my physics exams in the future?

To prevent losing points on your physics exams, it's important to attend class regularly, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions. It's also crucial to dedicate enough time to studying and practicing problems. Seeking help from your instructor or a tutor can also be beneficial.

4. Can I make up the points I lost on my physics exam?

It depends on your instructor's policies. Some may allow you to retake the exam or complete extra credit assignments to improve your grade. It's important to communicate with your instructor and express your desire to improve your grade.

5. Will losing 10/100 points significantly affect my overall grade in physics?

The impact of losing 10/100 points on your overall grade will depend on how many points your exam was worth and how well you did on other assignments and exams. It's important to focus on improving your understanding and performance in all aspects of the course to maintain a good overall grade.