Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I made a poster. I have to present it tomorrow for an open house.

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1
    I made a poster. I have to present it tomorrow for an open house. Ill take a picture of it next to the UAV and other peoples posters. I got it made at Kinkos, it cost $90 bucks. Its a good thing the school is going to pay me back though.

[​IMG]

I have a video of it flying, but its too large to upload ~78mB and only 5 mins long. Its still a 'fluffy' poster, since Ive been working on my research for only 3 weeks now. Ive done this work at another lab for the last 4 years, so I probably did in 3 weeks what would have taken someone learning it half a summer. Hopefully it will be flying fully autonomously before school starts so I dont have to go out flying too often in the middle of school. Flying fields are always far away and eat up an entire day.

Some of the other Grad students are doing reserach in Morphing wings (smart structures), and optic flow sensing.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2007 #2
    I could got get a picture of the posters in time, people were talking and then they took them down too fast; but, I got a picture of some areas of research. You can see a morphing wing bird and ducted fan rotorcraft.

[​IMG]

4. Aug 1, 2007 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Very nice, Cyrus! I'd like to have seen the other posters and displays.

5. Aug 1, 2007 #4
    Yeah, they had some great stuff. But they took it down as people who came in were leaving. I was talking to some of the people before they left, so I turned around and all the posters were down....crap. They had stuff on active damping for helicopter blade tips, CFD work, basically alot of helicopter blade design.

6. Aug 1, 2007 #5
    Indeed, very nice and professional. Good work! The bird looks interesting. I can't wait to get deeper into my studies.

7. Aug 1, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks great!!!

8. Aug 1, 2007 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nice poster! I have to give a 10 minute speech for my REU tomorrow. I hope it sounds as good as that poster looks.:approve:

9. Aug 1, 2007 #8
    What are you going to talk about?

10. Aug 1, 2007 #9

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My project deals with a way to control a quantum dot sample during experiments while inside a cryostat. I'm going to talk a bit about background quantum dot information, plus a little bit about their applications, like quantum computing, etc.

The I'm going to go into more about what I did, measuring the motor properties of this stage that the sample is going to sit on while inside the cryostat. I basically had to write image acquisition and image processing programs in order to find out how fast the sample moves on this stage, it's max range of motion, etc.

It's a pretty interesting topic. I don't really think I did it justice here! If you want more info, Cyrus, I'll be glad to PM you.

11. Aug 1, 2007 #10
    :rofl: Way over my head. I have no clue what a quantum dot sample is.

12. Aug 1, 2007 #11

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are pretty cool little things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot

I didn't really work with them though. My project was more about controlling test samples in an experiment.

BTW: I noticed you use Matlab there. I used it for the image processing I did. Pretty versatile program, huh?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?