Importance of attending grad school Open house with other admits?

In summary: I interviewed with them i lied and said i'd work there long-term, when I actually intend to quit the job once I start grad school.Thus, do you still think they'd let me take a few days off? Then again, maybe they don't expect me to stay there long-term since the pay is so low ($12/hr)
creepypasta13
so a few of the grad programs I got admitted to don't have their open houses until April. However, if I wish, I could visit the program before then, but I of course won't be able to meet the incoming class of grad students. Since I already graduated over a year ago, I've had a couple jobs/internships since then, but am currently unemployed. However, I got a job offer about a week ago (the pay is abysmall, but its better than nothing) and they expect me to start towards late-March at the latest. I don't intend to stay there permanently, as I plan to quit it just before I start grad school

The question is: Is getting a feel of the incoming class of students important enough that I should wait until April to attend the open house and thus turn down that job offer and continue to be unemployed? (I've been unemployed for about 5 months)

Physics news on Phys.org
creepypasta13 said:
The question is: Is getting a feel of the incoming class of students important enough that I should wait until April to attend the open house and thus turn down that job offer and continue to be unemployed? (I've been unemployed for about 5 months)

I don't think so, but what about the job is such so that you can't take a few days off and attend the open house.

twofish-quant said:
I don't think so, but what about the job is such so that you can't take a few days off and attend the open house.

well I interviewed with them i lied and said i'd work there long-term, when I actually intend to quit the job once I start grad school. Thus, do you still think they'd let me take a few days off? Then again, maybe they don't expect me to stay there long-term since the pay is so low ($12/hr)

twofish-quant said:
So can you take days off straight away after starting a job in the US? I ask this, because back home you can only start using up your leave time after six months of work if you started working prior to July, so it really depends upon the employer whether he will go out of his way and grant you a day off prior to that.

I understand the importance of making informed decisions and gathering as much information as possible before making a major life choice. Attending a grad school open house can provide valuable insights into the program, its faculty, and the incoming class of students. However, I also recognize the financial and personal considerations that come with being unemployed.

In this situation, I would recommend weighing the benefits and drawbacks of waiting until April to attend the open house. While meeting the incoming class of students can give you a sense of the program's culture and potential future colleagues, it may not be worth turning down a job offer and remaining unemployed for an extended period of time. Consider reaching out to current students or alumni of the program to get a sense of their experiences and ask any questions you may have. Additionally, you could attend the open house virtually or schedule a visit to the program at a later date, even after starting your new job.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on what is best for your personal and financial situation. Grad school is a significant investment of time and resources, so it is important to carefully consider all factors before making a decision. I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process.

1. What is the purpose of an open house for grad school admits?

The purpose of an open house for grad school admits is to give prospective students the opportunity to learn more about the school and its programs, meet with faculty and current students, and get a feel for the campus and community. It also allows for networking with other admitted students and getting a better understanding of what to expect as a grad student at that particular institution.

2. Is it important to attend an open house if I have already been admitted to the grad program?

Yes, it is still important to attend the open house even if you have been admitted to the grad program. This will give you the chance to gather more information about the program, ask any remaining questions, and get a better sense of the campus and its resources. It also allows you to connect with other admitted students and start building a support network for your graduate studies.

3. Can I bring a guest to the open house with me?

Generally, yes, most grad schools allow admitted students to bring a guest to the open house. However, it is always best to check with the event organizers beforehand to make sure and to confirm any limitations or guidelines for guests.

4. What should I expect at an open house for grad school admits?

You can expect to attend informational sessions about the program and the school, tour the campus and facilities, meet with faculty and current students, and attend social events with other admitted students. It is also a good idea to prepare questions beforehand to make the most out of your experience.

5. How can attending an open house benefit my decision to attend grad school?

Attending an open house can benefit your decision to attend grad school in multiple ways. Not only will you gain a better understanding of the program and the school, but you will also have the opportunity to network with faculty and current students, get a feel for the campus and community, and connect with other admitted students. This can help you make a more informed decision about whether the school and program are the right fit for you.