Importance of attending grad school Open house with other admits?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
creepypasta13
Messages
370
Reaction score
0
so a few of the grad programs I got admitted to don't have their open houses until April. However, if I wish, I could visit the program before then, but I of course won't be able to meet the incoming class of grad students. Since I already graduated over a year ago, I've had a couple jobs/internships since then, but am currently unemployed. However, I got a job offer about a week ago (the pay is abysmall, but its better than nothing) and they expect me to start towards late-March at the latest. I don't intend to stay there permanently, as I plan to quit it just before I start grad school

The question is: Is getting a feel of the incoming class of students important enough that I should wait until April to attend the open house and thus turn down that job offer and continue to be unemployed? (I've been unemployed for about 5 months)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
creepypasta13 said:
The question is: Is getting a feel of the incoming class of students important enough that I should wait until April to attend the open house and thus turn down that job offer and continue to be unemployed? (I've been unemployed for about 5 months)

I don't think so, but what about the job is such so that you can't take a few days off and attend the open house.
 
twofish-quant said:
I don't think so, but what about the job is such so that you can't take a few days off and attend the open house.

well I interviewed with them i lied and said i'd work there long-term, when I actually intend to quit the job once I start grad school. Thus, do you still think they'd let me take a few days off? Then again, maybe they don't expect me to stay there long-term since the pay is so low ($12/hr)
 
twofish-quant said:
I don't think so, but what about the job is such so that you can't take a few days off and attend the open house.
So can you take days off straight away after starting a job in the US? I ask this, because back home you can only start using up your leave time after six months of work if you started working prior to July, so it really depends upon the employer whether he will go out of his way and grant you a day off prior to that.