I made a website to index TEM diffraction patterns

In summary, Odpin is a program that takes the crystal structure and geometry of a diffraction pattern and calculates a list of planes that fit. It can be filtered by selection rules.
Timo-O
TL;DR Summary
Odpin (https://www.odpin.com) is a tool to index TEM diffraction patterns. It runs completely in the browser and is free to use.
Hi,

I spent some time during my PhD with the task of indexing TEM diffraction patterns, usually made with selected area diffraction. All available software I found online was either too complicated or too expensive (or both). So I decided to make my own: https://www.odpin.com

It's 100% non-commercialized, e.g. no ads, no registration, no collecting of user data, etc. Hopefully it's ok for me to post this here.

What Odpin does is that it takes the crystal structure of your specimen and the geometry of your diffraction pattern as input and then calculates a list of possible combinations of (hkl) planes which fit to the geometry of your pattern. You can then filter by selection rules, e.g. fcc, bcc and so on.

Maybe someone finds it useful :) Feedback welcome!
Timo

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, and nice work! :smile:

Can you say if you are working in industry now, on a post-Doc, or teaching?

Thanks! After my PhD I didn't want to continue in university for the usual reasons and was looking for a job where I could learn a new and portable skill. I enjoyed the little programming I did during university, which is why I'm now working in IT. That's ultimately how ended up creating Odpin - It's a hobby project where I can experiment with stuff :smile:.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Oops. @Timo-O, I tried your site, odpin.com, and received this error message.

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.odpin.com. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s). (Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

Investigation yielded:
TLS v1.2 encryption used here
Response was: Alert (Level: Fatal, Description: Handshake Failure)

Anyone have even an idea as to which end has a problem? (and/or a solution)

Tnx,
Tom

Last edited:
Tom.G said:
Oops. @Timo-O, I tried your site, odpin.com, and received this error message.
Did you get it right away, or farther down in the website? I'm opening it fine from my work PC, and our firewall is pretty strict.

Right away. Did not get any of the web page displayed; just the error msg indicating:
'no common encryption algorithm(s).(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap')
Probably not a firewall problem as the error message is from the browser, Firefox 43.0.1. The error msg is documented on the Mozilla site.

The site https://www.howsmyssl.com/ reports that I have these TLSv1.2 encryption algorithms installed.

The cipher suites your client said it supports, in the order it sent them, are:

• TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
  • TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
  • TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA
  • TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
  • TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
  • TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA
  • TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
  • TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA
  • TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
  • TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA
  • TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA

(Yeah, I know, not the 'Latest, most hyped' browser. Much newer and I would need a later OS... which means a later motherboard/processor... which means several later peripherals because no drivers for later OS... also many applications and utility pgms would have to be replaced. Ouch! $,$$$.00)

Tom.G said:
Yeah, I know, not the 'Latest, most hyped' browser. Much newer and I would need a later OS... which means a later motherboard/processor...
Can you get to it on your phone? I can open the website with Google Chrome on my Android phone...

Naah... doesn't work with dumb ones connected via a landline.
But my wife gets it on her Fire tablet thru the same router as this tower.

Anyone know how to find what encryption the site wants? I can capture the stream with Wireshark but haven't been able to make sense of the packet contents.

Hi,

@Tom.G, I added more cyphers, you should be able to visit odpin now.

On more general news, I made the site suck less on mobile :)

Likes Tom.G and berkeman
Timo-O said:
Hi,

@Tom.G, I added more cyphers, you should be able to visit odpin now.

On more general news, I made the site suck less on mobile :)
Ahh! That solved the problem. Thank You.

Now if that was my field I would certainly give it a try. (I obviously mis-interpreted the brief description in the 1st post.) I liked the style of the usage instructions too.

Thanks again.
Tom

1. What is the purpose of your website?

The purpose of my website is to provide a searchable index of transmission electron microscopy (TEM) diffraction patterns. This will make it easier for researchers to find and compare diffraction patterns for their own studies.

2. How did you create the index of TEM diffraction patterns?

I collected a large number of diffraction patterns from various sources and used image processing techniques to extract and store the relevant data. I then organized the data into a searchable database on the website.

3. Can anyone contribute to the index on your website?

Yes, anyone can contribute to the index by submitting their own TEM diffraction patterns. However, all submissions are reviewed by a team of experts before being added to the index to ensure accuracy and relevance.

4. How often is the index updated?

The index is updated on a regular basis, typically every few months. This allows for new contributions to be added and any outdated or incorrect data to be removed.

5. Is the website free to use?

Yes, the website is completely free to use. Our goal is to make this valuable resource accessible to all researchers in the field of TEM without any barriers.