I messed up and need some honesty here.

• Thread starter Jawbreaker
  • Start date
In summary, Joey (Jawbreaker) had a rough start to college, failing two courses and getting poor grades due to depression and personal issues. However, after seeking help and making changes, Joey was able to turn things around and improve their grades significantly. Despite still having one semester of failure on their record, Joey is determined to continue working hard and potentially graduate with a 3.5 GPA and a minor in math. They are curious about their chances of getting into graduate school and ask for advice on how to improve their odds. In response, others reassure Joey that their recent academic success and personal growth will greatly outweigh that one semester of failure and advise them to continue doing well and showcasing their accomplishments in their application.
Jawbreaker
Hi everyone! I've been perusing these forums for quite a while now and never introduced myself, but for lack of anything better to say for now, I'm Joey and here's my situation.

Too keep things short, I basically failed two courses, and got a D and a C in my other courses a year ago. I was severely depressed, in a horrible relationship and living situation, and basically gave up. I knew sympathy would never resolve my situation, so being the humble person I am, I accepted my failure and didn't let it bring me down any further. This happened in the spring semester. That summer some things changed for me. I got help with my depression, and though I was still in that crappy relationship and living problem, I was full of new determination not to give up. I had some hope for my future. I brought myself back to the university in the fall to make up the courses I had failed, and to bring more encouragement I took an intermediate course in Cosmology, which was thrilling and a good move. I forgot to mention that I failed physics I and am a Physics major. OUCH. Anyways, I busted my ***, eventually left the person I was with and living situation, and got great marks! This past spring I was short by a B to having straight A's. My gpa went from a 2.09 to a 3.08, and I don't plan on keeping it there. I did some rough calculations and If I bust major *** these last two years (not overloading either), I can end up near a 3.5 when I graduate, with a minor in math.

So I am curious, if I stay true to my path, do I have a chance at entering graduate school? I know you really can't answer these kinds of questions certainly. I plan on doing research during these last two years, and learning a few programming languages more to be more useful I suppose. I know graduate admissions look at your coursework, gpa, and GRE, but do they consider YOU? Will that one semester of failure be enough to make me appear unworthy, even if I surpassed it like a bat out of hell? I just need some really honest imput here. I really love astrophysics thus far, and want to study it at the graduate level. Is there anything I specifically should do to better my odds? I wouldn't be crushed if I didn't get into any of the top universities, but I would be if I was rejected by all and was stranded with a Physics B.S. and no continuation. Thanks for any imput! :]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Joey! I can't provide you with specific information about graduate schools admissions (because I'm a humble freshman :approve:). But I will advise you to please remove words like "unworthy" off the list of words to describe yourself. Don't let the future decision of a panel of glorified apes influence whom you are in any way.

Thanks for the Optimism! :smile: I always try and remember my self-worth, even in times like these!

Committees put much more weight on your upper level physics courses than your intro courses. Therefore, if you keep up the good work and get good grades in your upper level courses, I think you will have no problem getting into graduate schools. When you write your statement of purpose, make sure you briefly describe these personal challenges and how successful you were at overcoming them. This will definitely add something to your application.

Overall, I wouldn't worry about that one semester. If you continue to do well, everything should work out just fine for you.

Hi

I'm in the UK, but I am in a similar situation, last semester I averaged 45% (in the UK the pass mark is 40%) but since have motivated myself and this semester I am averaging about 70% (70% + is a 1st class honours, the highest class of degree awarded in the UK). But given my semester one average it will take my years average to the 50's. I'm in the second to last year of my degree, with this year worth 1/3 of my final mark and next 2/3. Do you think that one semester will effect me, as it will likely bring my average down considerably?

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

Based on what you said, it sounds like next year is the most important year for you. Therefore, if you continue to do well next year, that one bad semester shouldn't hurt that much. Both you and Joey (Jawbreaker) shouldn't let that one bad semester make you feel unworthy or discouraged about your future. Showing that you overcame whatever prevented you from doing well in the past will mean a lot more to most admission committees than that one bad semester.

If you do well your last two years you will have absolutely no problem getting into graduate school.

As it stands, you'd get into a decent graduate school with your 3.08 GPA. Keep working hard and you'll do very well.

What does it mean to "mess up" in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, messing up can refer to making a mistake or error in conducting an experiment or gathering data. It can also refer to misinterpreting results or making incorrect conclusions.

Why is honesty important in science?

Honesty is crucial in science because it allows for accurate and reliable results. If dishonesty is present, it can lead to false conclusions and harm the progress of scientific research. Honesty also promotes transparency and credibility within the scientific community.

What should I do if I realize I have made a mistake in my research?

If you have made a mistake in your research, it is important to be honest about it and address it as soon as possible. This may involve repeating the experiment, reassessing data, or consulting with colleagues or mentors. It is important to acknowledge and learn from mistakes in order to improve and ensure the integrity of your research.

How can I prevent making mistakes in my research?

To minimize the likelihood of making mistakes in research, it is important to carefully plan and design experiments, follow established protocols, and pay attention to detail. It is also helpful to have colleagues or mentors review your work and provide feedback. Additionally, being organized and keeping accurate records can help identify and address mistakes more easily.

What are the consequences of being dishonest in scientific research?

Being dishonest in scientific research can have serious consequences, both personally and for the scientific community. It can damage your credibility and reputation as a scientist and may result in retractions of published work. It can also have legal ramifications, such as fraud charges. Furthermore, it can harm the progress of scientific research and potentially put others at risk if false information is published or used for further research.