Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need advice on double and triple majoring.

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    I'm a triple major Physics, Astrophysics, and Mathematics. Math is my true love, but I also like Physics and generally having an area of study to which I can apply my knowledge of Mathematics. The reason the Astrophysics is there is because at my college it takes about 4 classes in addition to all of the classes I'm already taking for Physics in order to get a completely separate Bachelor's of Science; for the effort I'd say that that's worth it. At any rate, I've been working hard at this triple major now and I have a source saying that applying to grad schools with more than one major (when the majors are so closely related) makes it harder to get accepted. Personally I think such a thing is preposterous. Clearly in denial, I have turned to a third party to see what you all think. Should I drop my Physics and Astrophysics majors to minors? Or should I keep at it? Have you heard of anyone being denied admission because they have majors that are closely related?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2
    I think having three majors would be detrimental if they'd be in fields not as closely related, because then you'd take the already watered-down North American model of studying a field (in terms of taking courses in the actual field and not other stuff) and watered it down even further (unless, of course, you'd finish the degree by taking more than the amount of courses a single major is supposed to take). But since your triple major is in fields that are so closely knit together so that one could say they could form a single major, really, I hardly believe you're going to have a harder time getting into grad school because of that fact alone.

Note that this is only a student's opinion, so I may be in the wrong here.

4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    These were my thoughts precisely, but supposedly that's not the case. I mean, it seems like math and physics would be necessary for what I want to do (theoretical physicist and mathematician).

Thank you for your quick reply :D

5. Sep 29, 2010 #4
    How reliable is your source? Just curious because that makes little sense.

6. Sep 29, 2010 #5

fss

In my experience (admittedly somewhat limited), the math/physics double major is fairly common. A lot of schools will categorize your Astrophysics "major" of four extra classes as a "concentration" or something similarily noncommittal. I don't think it's going to hurt you.

7. Sep 29, 2010 #6
    Not very reliable, hence I am asking a forum, which is also not the most reliable of sources, but I'm also meandering about the internet (to little avail).

8. Sep 29, 2010 #7

eri

No, it won't hurt you. But it won't help you a lot either since there's so much overlap between the degrees. Keep in mind you're not actually getting three bachelors degrees - you'd need three times as many credits for that. You're getting one bachelors degree in three subjects. Your degree will be one degree that says something like 'Bachelors of Science/Art in Physics, Math, and Astrophysics'.

9. Sep 29, 2010 #8
    That really doesn't seem fair, since I'm getting all the information I need out of it, but thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook