I need intuition for Lagrangians and action

In summary, Lagrangians are a calculational tool used in classical mechanics and quantum field theory. They are based on a variational principle and can be found in sources such as Landau&Lifshits' classical mechanics book. They are useful for deriving differential equations and are an essential concept in understanding the principles of physics.
hideelo
The title sort of says it all, but I'll clarify a bit. Is there any intuition for what Lagrangians are and what action is. I'm asking in all generality, not just for classical mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a nutshell, they are very handy calculational tools, especially when doing quantum field theory, one of the 2 most successful theories of physics. Intuition is built once you read the proper sources. I'd consider Landau&Lifshits' classical mechanics gem.

dextercioby said:
In a nutshell, they are very handy calculational tools, especially when doing quantum field theory, one of the 2 most successful theories of physics. Intuition is built once you read the proper sources. I'd consider Landau&Lifshits' classical mechanics gem.
hideelo said:
The title sort of says it all, but I'll clarify a bit. Is there any intuition for what Lagrangians are and what action is. I'm asking in all generality, not just for classical mechanics.
Hi, I definitely subscribe this but I would like to add: Lagrangians are nothing else but the formulation and application of a variational principle. It works since nature seems to use the shortest path. It begins from classical mechanics of some particles, is great if you come then to field lagrangians and they are used in classical mechanics and QFT wildely.
I just wanted to mention that they are superb tool to derive differential equations and I personally recommend "Boundary and Eigenvalue Problems in Mathematical Physics" by Sagan.

dextercioby said:
I'll check it out

1. What is a Lagrangian and why is it important?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system in terms of its position and velocity. It is important because it allows us to model and analyze complex physical systems using the principles of classical mechanics.

2. What is the relationship between a Lagrangian and action?

The action of a physical system is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over time. In other words, the action is a measure of the total energy of a system over a specific period of time. The Lagrangian is therefore an essential component in calculating the action of a system.

3. How does intuition play a role in understanding Lagrangians and action?

Intuition is crucial in understanding Lagrangians and action because these concepts are highly abstract and mathematical. Intuition allows us to make connections between mathematical equations and physical phenomena, making it easier to interpret and apply the concepts to real-world situations.

4. Can you provide an example of using Lagrangians and action in a real-world scenario?

One example is the use of Lagrangians and action in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a pendulum. The Lagrangian takes into account the position and velocity of the pendulum, and the action is calculated as the integral of the Lagrangian over time. This allows us to predict the motion of the pendulum and understand its energy and forces at any given point in time.

5. Are Lagrangians and action only applicable to classical mechanics?

No, Lagrangians and action can also be applied to other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and field theory. In these fields, the concepts are used to describe the behavior of particles and fields, and to calculate the probabilities of different physical outcomes.