I need one ansewer to finish a prize crossword

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
39 replies · 5K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
I need one ansewer to finish a prize crossword, can anyone help ?

The clue is, Noisily shake back part of old car, it is 10 letters, the first letter is R the third T and the nineth A.
I could win a pen, so please help.:smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fi said:
rattletrap?

That sure fits Fi, but i do not get the workings.
 
hi Wolram, a noisy shake is a rattle, part 'back' or backwards is trap and together they make an old noisy car.
 
fi said:
hi Wolram, a noisy shake is a rattle, part 'back' or backwards is trap and together they make an old noisy car.

Dho, thanks Fi.
 
I've heard that brit crosswords are much more cryptic than american ones but I didn't realize that they were that much more cryptic.
 
TheStatutoryApe said:
I've heard that brit crosswords are much more cryptic than american ones but I didn't realize that they were that much more cryptic.
No wonder,then, that the Brits have never achieved much of significance. :smile:
 
Lol. We Brits get so stumped doing cryptic crosswords, that in newspapers they actually have helplines you can ring up to give you the answer. All for an extortionate price.
 
jimmy p said:
Lol. We Brits get so stumped doing cryptic crosswords, that in newspapers they actually have helplines you can ring up to give you the answer. All for an extortionate price.

I have one that i have been trying to solve for two weeks i have it half done
but i am not even sure thatr half is correct
:mad:
 
Try this clue, it is nine letters, i think it begins with K fith letter T, crucial blow action needed to get letter written ?
 
Wooly, try The Guardian or The Independent cryptics rather than The Times, at least then you get some satisfaction when you get the answers.



Here's my favourite crossword clue of all time. It was set by Auracaria in The Times quite a few years ago.

H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O. (5)
 
wolram said:
Try this clue, it is nine letters, i think it begins with K fith letter T, crucial blow action needed to get letter written ?
WHISTLING seems like it might fit with the first part of the clue, but not quite the rest.
 
The answer is water heh heh.

Edit: To Brewnog's cryptic...
 
jhe1984 said:
What about "kickstart"?

That is what i thought but the,T, is the fith letter.
 
Crucial - "key"

Blow / blow action - "strike"

"keystrike"??

That makes little sense...
 
"Keystroke?"

Hmm, I think we're getting warmer.

Where does "blow action" or such fit in?

EDIT: Maybe it could be like a stroke is a crucial blow to a human?
 
I think that's it. To get the letter written requires keystrokes on the keyboard.

I was thinking that is was just referring to necessary percussive action on the keyboard when typing.
 
Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
Keystroke?

That's got to be it!

I think you have got it MIH, darn it what a brain.
 
wolram said:
I think you have got it MIH, darn it what a brain.
I can't take credit for that one. That was all jhe's thinking that cracked it.
 
Math Is Hard said:
I can't take credit for that one. That was all jhe's thinking that cracked it.

Yep, i missed a couple of posts, it is jhes that has a fantastic brain, i do not know what made me come to my first conclusion, fantastic avatar though :smile:
 
Woolie : please post some more clues that you haven't solved yet.

I just read your last clue, (at the bottom of the last page) and was hoping the answer wasn't out yet...but jhe+MIH got it :frown:

PS : Just for the sake of completeness...

"crucial" = key
"blow" = stroke (for the Brits, think cricket)
"action needed to get letter [meaning: a letter of the alphabet, or character] written" = keystroke
 
Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Woolie : please post some more clues that you haven't solved yet.
Yes, more clues now! :biggrin:
 
honestrosewater said:
Yes, more clues now! :biggrin:

Ok, how about, Lou can somehow get around heartless mum in public.
It is 8 letters.
And, Social worker has setback after i do remedies, nine letters.
 
Bah, all I got was that "social worker" was probably an insect. Grrr...
 
I have one more, Ram has ruined religious retreat, 6 letters.
I lied, One company after another takes on protective cover. 6 letters.
I found yet another, Early chopper that will be replaced eventually, two words, 4 and 5.
 
Last edited: