Calculating Energy Needed for Change of Phase: Do I Need One More 'mCΔT'?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
AbsoluteZer0
Messages
124
Reaction score
1
I have been given the following problem:

How much heat is needed to change 50.0g of water at 80.0°C to steam at 110°C?

The equations that I have used are the following:


Q = mCΔT
Q = mL


I've set up my equation as such:

Q = mCΔT + mL

However, I am unsure if I should leave it as it is and solve it or if one more 'mCΔT' is needed. I've used the first mCΔT to find the energy that takes the water to 100.0°C and the latent heat of vaporization to find the energy required to change the phase to steam. Do I need one more 'mCΔT?' or do I solve it as it is? If I need to add one more, would the specific heat capacity needed differ in any way?

Thanks,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to raise the steam from 100 C to 110 C so you require another mCΔT.
 
LawrenceC said:
You have to raise the steam from 100 C to 110 C so you require another mCΔT.

Thanks