I need some advice regarding books (Math, Physics)

In summary, Sheldon Axler is a good writer who has written many papers and books relevant to math and physics.
Alejandro Ramos
Hello, I'm currently studying for some scholarship exams (Math, Phy, Chem) that take place in june 16~20.

As for Math, I'm studying number theory from Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics, and went through stewart's pre-calculus book (but I think I may be going over it again since I didn't master it completely yet).
The thing is, I'm having some trouble deciding on books to improve even more on pre-calculus and to get a basic knowledge on Calculus (I need to be able to differentiate, integrate and find maxima and minima, not that hard)
I was thinking about buying Quick Calculus: A self teaching guide By Kleppner&Ramsey (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20)
Because the test only needs a basic knowledge of Calculus and I've got so little time. Any advice on this? And is there a better book on pre-calculus than stewart's?
(These are some example math exams from 2014 and 2015 exams: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1j6f4rplsv3b33h/AADv1SM3kbGWk4r3_IJbDrXFa?dl=0)

And as for physics, I'm currently studying and taking notes from Walter Lewin's MIT lectures. And doing some exercises on the Sears & Zemansky University Physics book I purchased.
(Physics 2014/2015 exams: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/txqv20qwguyn33z/AAByidzZS8onloqYwk38rJBma?dl=0)So, is my approach correct? Or should I attempt to change it? What is your opinion?

Thank you for reading this wall of text, I appreciate any help or advice you would give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes Alejandro Ramos
smodak said:
I see, the Pre-Calculus: A prelude to Calculus book seems pretty good, as well as the Precalculus math in a nutshell, I think I'll purchase those two and go through them. Thank you very much, friend. As for Calculus I think I will go for the Quick Calculus: A Self-Teaching Guide, 2nd Edition for now, as it seems to fit my goals better. Thanks again!

Alejandro Ramos said:
I see, the Pre-Calculus: A prelude to Calculus book seems pretty good, as well as the Precalculus math in a nutshell, I think I'll purchase those two and go through them. Thank you very much, friend. As for Calculus I think I will go for the Quick Calculus: A Self-Teaching Guide, 2nd Edition for now, as it seems to fit my goals better. Thanks again!
Good luck on your Journey!

Likes Alejandro Ramos
Alejandro Ramos said:

Sheldon Axler is a very good writer. If one of his books or papers is referenced in your studies, it's worth paying attention to.

Likes Alejandro Ramos

1. What are some good books for learning math and physics?

Some popular books for learning math include "A Mathematician's Lament" by Paul Lockhart, "How Not to Be Wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking" by Jordan Ellenberg, and "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" by Timothy Gowers. For physics, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene are highly recommended.

2. Can you recommend any books for beginners in math and physics?

For beginners in math, "Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning" by A. D. Aleksandrov, A. N. Kolmogorov, and M. A. Lavrent'ev is a great option. For physics, "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Douglas C. Giancoli are both beginner-friendly.

3. Are there any books that cover both math and physics?

Yes, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas and "Mathematical Physics: A Modern Introduction to Its Foundations" by Sadri Hassani both cover both math and physics in one book.

4. What are some good books for advanced studies in math and physics?

"Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin and "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by A. Zee are both highly recommended for advanced studies in math and physics.

5. Are there any online resources for learning math and physics?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning math and physics such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. There are also many YouTube channels and online forums dedicated to teaching math and physics.