In need of some advice regarding Science Olympiad boomilever

In summary, our school is going to the state Science Olympiad competition next week, and I am responsible for construction of our boomilever. Basically, it is a crane-like device; one end is bolted to a wall and the other end carries a bucket filled with up to 15kg of sand. I have been building and testing various models since last winter, and have gotten some good advice from teachers and friends regarding vairous aspects of construction. However, I seem to have reached a plateau as far as boomilever construction is concerned. My current model is built from balsa (~90%) and basswood (~10%); it weighs in at around 10 grams and can hold most of the required weight.
996gt2
Our school is going to the state Science Olympiad competition next week, and I am responsible for construction of our boomilever. Basically, it is a crane-like device; one end is bolted to a wall and the other end carries a bucket filled with up to 15kg of sand. I have been building and testing various models since last winter, and have gotten some good advice from teachers and friends regarding vairous aspects of construction. However, I seem to have reached a plateau as far as boomilever construction is concerned. My current model is built from balsa (~90%) and basswood (~10%); it weighs in at around 10 grams and can hold most of the required weight. I do not know of any way to lighten this structure unless some of the trusses bridging the tension and compression members are removed (the wood chosen for the other parts are the lightest available pieces and each is individually weighed before use).

So...my question is: are the vertical support members between the tension and compression members of the boomilever necessary in order to support most or all of the 15kg dangling from the front of the structure? I have seen some designs that do not utilize them at all, and have heard of some schools that have constructed 7 or even 6 gram boomilever structures. I know that these supports add stiffness to the whole structure and spread the load imposed by the sand, but are would performance of the structure dwindle dramatically without them?

Attached is a picture of my latest boomilever. The top right end contains the hole for the attachment bolt, and the lower right end rests perpendicularly to the attachment wall. The weight is suspended in a bucket that is secured to the boomilever structure at the lower bottom end by a square loading block with a bolt and chain going through it.

Thanks for any help in advance

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3,322
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
my best guesses, though my boomilever is floundering far behind yours, is that you can probably ditch a couple of trusses and maybe laminate the thicker pieces of wood. Beyond that, cut fat by trial and error.

Well I don't know I think the verticle ones are necesary just to distribute the stresses better. Perhaps if it is a static load like you imply you can remove some of the horizontal bracing. Or the diagnals could be changed to be perpendicular to the two parallel heavy weight pieces. This could probably lighten it a couple of grams, even though it decreases the stiffness a bit.

I'd say it would be a good idea to do a quick truss analysis on your current design, and see what the axial force on each member is. Then, vary the cross-sectional area of each spar linearly with the axial force each one experiences. Make sure to take into account the critical buckling load for each spar in compression, and maybe do a quick search on tensile/compressive strengths of Balsa wood parallel to its grains.

Which makes me want to mention: make sure all of your pieces of wood have their grains going in the same direction as the force being applied on them (axial direction).

Last edited:
Those of you building such load-bearing structures might be interested in this nice little program. It's fun to play around with.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/method_comp/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I improve the design of my boomilever for Science Olympiad?

There are a few key factors to consider when designing a boomilever for Science Olympiad. First, make sure your boomilever is lightweight yet sturdy. This can be achieved by using lightweight materials such as balsa wood or carbon fiber, but also reinforcing key areas with glue or other materials. Additionally, consider the placement of weight and how it will distribute throughout the structure. Finally, make sure all joints and connections are secure to prevent any weak points.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when building a boomilever for Science Olympiad?

One common mistake is using too much weight or overloading the boomilever. This can cause it to break or bend, resulting in a lower score. Additionally, make sure to follow the rules and guidelines provided by the Science Olympiad organization, as deviating from these can result in disqualification. Lastly, be sure to practice building and testing your boomilever before the competition to identify any weak points or flaws in the design.

3. How can I test the strength and stability of my boomilever?

One way to test the strength and stability of your boomilever is to gradually add weight to it until it reaches its breaking point. This can help you identify any weak points in the design and make adjustments accordingly. Additionally, you can use a force meter or scale to measure the amount of force the boomilever can withstand before breaking. Remember to record and analyze your results to further improve your design.

4. How can I incorporate engineering principles into my boomilever design?

Engineering principles such as load distribution, tension and compression, and structural stability can all play a role in designing a successful boomilever for Science Olympiad. Consider these principles when choosing materials, designing joints and connections, and distributing weight throughout the structure. You can also research and learn about different types of truss structures and how they can be applied to your boomilever design.

5. What resources are available to help me prepare for the Science Olympiad boomilever event?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for the Science Olympiad boomilever event. These include online tutorials and videos, books and articles on engineering and structural design, and even workshops or classes specifically focused on building boomilevers. You can also reach out to your school's science or engineering teachers for guidance and tips. Additionally, participating in mock competitions or practicing with previous year's events can also be helpful in preparing for the actual competition.