1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need some motivation to study E&M

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    I don't know why, but I just can't get into E&M. I didn't find it interesting as an undergrad, and it's not interesting to me now as a grad student. However, I need to know the material--gotta pass the quals!--and I even want to know the material ('cause it's an important part of physics and I want to be a well-rounded physicist), but every time I open up an E&M book (and I have quite a few at my disposal), I fail to get anywhere with it.

Now, I love stat mech. If I could find some overlap between stat mech and E&M, then I would have a roundabout way of studying E&M and perhaps my interest in the material would be piqued.

Any ideas for making myself care about the material?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2
    E&M makes particle accelerators possible. If that ain't cool enough to interest you, I don't know what would :)

4. Jan 4, 2012 #3

Meh. I'm not an HEP or particle person. Not a string theory person, either. I'm more inclined towards condensed matter physics.

5. Jan 4, 2012 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice - condensed matter is probably the most awesome field in physics, IMHO :wink:. But it requires a solid grasp of E&M, too.

Actually I'm like you - I could never really love E&M the way I loved quantum or statistical mechanics. I guess it falls into the category of "suck it up". Just get through it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook