I need some motivation to study E&M

In summary, the person is struggling to find interest in E&M, but recognizes the importance of understanding the material. They are considering finding overlap with their favorite field, condensed matter physics, to help with their motivation. They also mention that E&M is necessary for understanding condensed matter physics. Ultimately, they acknowledge that they may just have to push through and get through the material.
Geezer
I don't know why, but I just can't get into E&M. I didn't find it interesting as an undergrad, and it's not interesting to me now as a grad student. However, I need to know the material--gotta pass the quals!--and I even want to know the material ('cause it's an important part of physics and I want to be a well-rounded physicist), but every time I open up an E&M book (and I have quite a few at my disposal), I fail to get anywhere with it.

Now, I love stat mech. If I could find some overlap between stat mech and E&M, then I would have a roundabout way of studying E&M and perhaps my interest in the material would be piqued.

Any ideas for making myself care about the material?

Physics news on Phys.org
E&M makes particle accelerators possible. If that ain't cool enough to interest you, I don't know what would :)

Angry Citizen said:
E&M makes particle accelerators possible. If that ain't cool enough to interest you, I don't know what would :)

Meh. I'm not an HEP or particle person. Not a string theory person, either. I'm more inclined towards condensed matter physics.

Geezer said:
Meh. I'm not an HEP or particle person. Not a string theory person, either. I'm more inclined towards condensed matter physics.

Nice - condensed matter is probably the most awesome field in physics, IMHO :wink:. But it requires a solid grasp of E&M, too.

Actually I'm like you - I could never really love E&M the way I loved quantum or statistical mechanics. I guess it falls into the category of "suck it up". Just get through it.

First of all, it's completely normal to struggle with certain subjects or topics in science. E&M can be a challenging subject, but it is also an essential part of physics and understanding it will greatly benefit your overall understanding of the field.

One approach to finding motivation for studying E&M could be to think about how it relates to your interests in stat mech. While they may seem like very different areas of physics, there are actually many connections between them. For example, both E&M and stat mech involve studying the behavior of systems at a microscopic level, and they both use mathematical models to describe these systems. By exploring the connections between these two areas, you may find a new perspective on E&M and develop a deeper appreciation for its importance in physics.

Another approach could be to think about the practical applications of E&M. From electricity and magnetism, we have technologies such as computers, smartphones, and MRI machines. By understanding the principles of E&M, you are gaining a deeper understanding of the world around us and how it works. This knowledge can also open up career opportunities in fields such as engineering or electronics.

It may also be helpful to break down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks. Instead of trying to tackle an entire E&M book at once, focus on one concept or problem at a time. You can also try exploring different resources, such as online tutorials or videos, to find a different approach that may resonate with you more.

Ultimately, it's important to remember that studying E&M is not just about passing exams, but about developing a strong foundation in physics. By mastering this subject, you are setting yourself up for success in your future studies and career. Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to ask for help or find new ways to approach the material. With persistence and determination, you can overcome any challenges and find motivation to study E&M.

What is E&M?

E&M stands for electricity and magnetism, which are two fundamental forces of nature that govern the behavior of charged particles and their interactions.

Why is studying E&M important?

Studying E&M is important because it helps us understand and explain many natural phenomena, such as the behavior of electricity and magnetism in everyday objects and in the universe. It also forms the basis for many technologies, including electrical power generation, electronic devices, and communication systems.

How can I stay motivated to study E&M?

One way to stay motivated is to set specific goals for yourself, such as mastering a certain number of concepts or solving a certain number of practice problems each day. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the long-term benefits of studying E&M, such as career opportunities and personal growth.

What are some effective study techniques for E&M?

Some effective study techniques for E&M include actively engaging with the material by taking notes and asking questions, breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, and practicing problems regularly to reinforce understanding. It can also be helpful to study with a group or seek help from a tutor or professor.

How can I overcome difficulties in understanding E&M?

If you are having difficulty understanding E&M, try approaching the material from different angles, such as watching online tutorials or seeking help from classmates. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the material with a fresh mindset. Don't be afraid to ask for help from your professor or TA if you are struggling with specific concepts.