1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need to make or buy a insulated wire Mesh

1. Oct 15, 2016 #1
    I'm constructing a device that needs two electrodes in a mesh-like formation. there doesnt have to be a cavity but one is preferred.

I have this https://imgur.com/a/DWoxQ
    But I need there to be insulation like on a normal wire. I'm looking at a wire gauge of 28+ AWG.
    Ive tried 3D printing a loom to help me but that didnt work out great. Im thinking of buying this and replacing the yarn with wire.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you just use a PC Board with traces on each side oriented orthogonally? What is the application?

4. Oct 16, 2016 #3
    It needs to be flexible. I'm just trying to create surface discharge from a flexible medium.

5. Oct 16, 2016 #4

berkeman

There are flexible PCB materials available...
    Sorry, what does that mean? If the wires are insulated, what kind of discharge are you going to get?

6. Oct 16, 2016 #5
    Yeah I just realized that. Just requested a quote from a flexible pcb maker,

Im looking to achieve dielectric barrier discharge / ozone production

7. Oct 16, 2016 #6

berkeman

Hmm, I don't think the flexible PCB approach will work, because you need air or O2 to flow between the insulated conductors.

http://www.lenntech.com/library/ozone/generation/ozone-generation.htm

You could maybe use two single-sided flexible PCB pieces, with a gap between them to allow the air/O2 to flow between them...

8. Oct 16, 2016 #7
    Well when I inquired about the design to a pcb maker I asked if the grounded electrode can protrude from the surface. So there should be a cavity if its a square mesh correct? I like the PCB idea more than the pic I included. I have also thought about dipping the copper mesh in some kind of coating material.

9. Oct 16, 2016 #8

JBA

I think you will get more help if you show the configuration of the assembly you intend to create. Minimal information = Minimal help

10. Oct 16, 2016 #9
    Well I haven't built anything but the original design is simply this https://imgur.com/a/DWoxQ, Where the horizontal wires has a HV signal, and the vertical wire is a grounded electrode. I just need an insulated version of this, as in the copper isnt being exposed.

11. Oct 16, 2016 #10

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Ozone is produced when the voltage gradient in air starts to causes corona discharge. Any insulation on the HT electrode will reduce discharge and increase the HT voltage required. The HT electrode(s) should have sharp exposed points to generate the strongest field gradients.

You should use long glass or Teflon rods as insulators to support the HT electrodes. High voltages will break down the surface contamination of a PCB and so increasing leakage currents will flow.
    Look at the way the corona wires in a photocopier or laser printer are supported and driven by the HT module. The corona wire has a very small diameter to maximise the voltage gradient to the drum.

12. Oct 16, 2016 #11
    Ozone production isn't necessary I just want to study the chemical species produced. I'm expecting there to be ozone and other oxygen allotropes. Is it not produced in dielectric barrier discharge?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone#Cold_plasma

Also I the HV electrode shoould be around 5-10kV, with a power density of 0.05W/cm^2

13. Oct 20, 2016 #12

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps you could cover the PCB in thousands of un-plated via holes with the discharge occurring through the vias (eg between the conducting layers on each side)?

14. Nov 5, 2016 #13
    Yes this might work. Currently looking for flex pcb vendors

15. Nov 5, 2016 #14

Baluncore

Science Advisor

I expect the presence of ozone and similar reactive ions in the small holes adjacent to the PCB resin will burn the inner surface of the hole and result in many carbon tracks between the two electrode surfaces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted