I need to switch a 0.5V to 0.5 to 5.5V seamlessly

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dan King
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Switch
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Dan King
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I'm working on a circuit to manipulate an existing signal for an automotive hydraulic hybrid product.

I need to pass on a 0.46 to 0.55V signal to the ECU during accelereration to keep the engine from revving and restore the original signal (0.55 to 5.5V) when the engine takes over.

This would be easy but I only have one position on my connector left.

Basically I need to make the ECU think that the truck is idling while accellerating and then take over and function normally.

Maybe I'm being a bonehead, but it seems this should be possible.

I won't complicate this more with the other accellerator input.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
That is the kind of thing I need. Just trying to get it done by Monday with the parts we have laying around: Op-Amps, FET's, etc. New customers are coming this week so I need to get something working.

Thanks for the reply.
 
Dan King said:
That is the kind of thing I need. Just trying to get it done by Monday with the parts we have laying around: Op-Amps, FET's, etc. New customers are coming this week so I need to get something working.

Thanks for the reply.

I'd hit the phones and call up the Radioshacks (a few may still carry components), components places, and friends who are electronics hobbyists around you locally. That or bite the bullet and pay for same-day shipping from DigiKey or Mouser.

I'd also go armed with a part number, for instance, CD4051:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/CD%2FCD4051BC.pdf

Good luck!

EDIT: Note that many analog switches are made from FETs in linear mode:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET#Single-type_MOSFET_switch
http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jones/es154/lectures/lecture_4/mosfet/mos_circuits/cmos_gate/maxim/maxim.html

However, you may have to fiddle with the circuit so that it works properly...

Alternately, you might consider an SPDT relay, however, you might end up with a split second of glitching (if that's a significant issue) when the relay is switching from one contact to the other, and no connection exists.
 
Last edited by a moderator: