I need to switch a 0.5V to 0.5 to 5.5V seamlessly

• Thread starter Dan King
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the conversation revolves around creating a circuit to manipulate a signal for an automotive hydraulic hybrid product. The goal is to pass on a specific voltage signal to the ECU during acceleration and then restore the original signal when the engine takes over. The speaker is looking for a way to make the ECU think the truck is idling while accelerating. They mention looking into using an analog switch or multiplexer and mention using op-amps and FETs. They also discuss the need to get the project done quickly and suggest reaching out for help from local electronics shops or friends. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a specific part number or consider using a SPDT relay.
Dan King
I'm working on a circuit to manipulate an existing signal for an automotive hydraulic hybrid product.

I need to pass on a 0.46 to 0.55V signal to the ECU during accelereration to keep the engine from revving and restore the original signal (0.55 to 5.5V) when the engine takes over.

This would be easy but I only have one position on my connector left.

Basically I need to make the ECU think that the truck is idling while accellerating and then take over and function normally.

Maybe I'm being a bonehead, but it seems this should be possible.

I won't complicate this more with the other accellerator input.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look up analog switch / analog multiplexer.

That is the kind of thing I need. Just trying to get it done by Monday with the parts we have laying around: Op-Amps, FET's, etc. New customers are coming this week so I need to get something working.

Thanks for the reply.

Dan King said:
That is the kind of thing I need. Just trying to get it done by Monday with the parts we have laying around: Op-Amps, FET's, etc. New customers are coming this week so I need to get something working.

Thanks for the reply.

I'd hit the phones and call up the Radioshacks (a few may still carry components), components places, and friends who are electronics hobbyists around you locally. That or bite the bullet and pay for same-day shipping from DigiKey or Mouser.

I'd also go armed with a part number, for instance, CD4051:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/CD%2FCD4051BC.pdf

Good luck!

EDIT: Note that many analog switches are made from FETs in linear mode:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET#Single-type_MOSFET_switch
http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jones/es154/lectures/lecture_4/mosfet/mos_circuits/cmos_gate/maxim/maxim.html

However, you may have to fiddle with the circuit so that it works properly...

Alternately, you might consider an SPDT relay, however, you might end up with a split second of glitching (if that's a significant issue) when the relay is switching from one contact to the other, and no connection exists.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I seamlessly switch a voltage from 0.5V to 5.5V?

To seamlessly switch a voltage from 0.5V to 5.5V, you will need to use a voltage regulator or a switching regulator. These devices are designed to maintain a constant output voltage regardless of input variations.

2. Can I use a simple switch to change the voltage from 0.5V to 5.5V?

No, a simple switch cannot change the voltage from 0.5V to 5.5V seamlessly. A switch only allows for the flow of current, it does not regulate the voltage. To switch between these two voltages seamlessly, you will need to use a voltage regulator or a switching regulator.

3. What is the difference between a voltage regulator and a switching regulator?

A voltage regulator uses a series regulator to maintain a constant output voltage, while a switching regulator uses a switching element to regulate the voltage. Switching regulators are more efficient and can handle larger voltage differences, but they may introduce more noise into the circuit.

4. Can I use multiple voltage regulators to switch between 0.5V and 5.5V?

Yes, you can use multiple voltage regulators to switch between 0.5V and 5.5V, but it may not be the most efficient or cost-effective solution. It is recommended to use a single regulator that can handle the voltage range you need.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when switching between 0.5V and 5.5V?

Yes, there are several other factors to consider when switching between 0.5V and 5.5V, such as input and output current requirements, efficiency, and stability. It is important to carefully select the appropriate regulator for your specific application to ensure seamless switching and optimal performance.