I need word problems about a pair of straight lines

In summary, the conversation covers the topics of finding the slope of a straight line, determining if two lines with the same slope intersect, and possible real-life applications of intersecting or parallel lines. The participants also mention the limitations of extending a line to infinity and suggest searching for examples of real-life problems involving linear equations.
pairofstrings
TL;DR Summary
I can find whether the given pair of straight lines are in parallel or is intersecting.
I am comfortable with word problems on straight lines.
Hello,

I want to see word problems on pair of straight lines to know the real-time applications.
I want to find out what it means if a straight line intersects/is parallel to other straight line.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to determine that slope of a straight line? Could two lines with the same slope intersect? Could two lines with different slopes NOT intersect?

Hi,
phinds said:
Do you know how to determine that slope of a straight line?
phinds said:
I know how to find slope of a straight line that looks like this: y = mx.
Could two lines with the same slope intersect?
No. They will extend till infinity - parallely.
phinds said:
Could two lines with different slopes NOT intersect?
Yes, they can intersect somewhere when I can extend the line till infinity.

If I have two lines given like this:
Untitled.png

then what real-time problem I can solve with it?

pairofstrings said:
You are basically asking, "when will I use this?".
The answer is found only in too many possible applications, and depends on what you find when you find them. Otherwise, check the examples of application problems in your textbook.

y=mx+b, z=Mx+c
If m=M, and if you would plot y and z on the same vertical axis, these lines will be parallel and would not intersect.

phinds said:
Could two lines with different slopes NOT intersect?
pairofstrings said:
Yes, they can intersect somewhere when I can extend the line till infinity.
It's not possible to "extend the line till infinity" in any practical sense.
pairofstrings said:
If I have two lines given like this:
View attachment 246899
If all you are given is an image of two line segments, there's not much you can do. If the slopes of the lines are just slightly different, they will intersect somewhere (at some finite point).

You asked about "real-time" problems, but you probably mean "real-life" problems. Just about any algebra textbook will have lots of applications of linear equations, as would numerous web sites, using a search string of, say, "linear equations applied problems".

Thread closed.

1. What are word problems about a pair of straight lines?

Word problems about a pair of straight lines involve using equations and graphing to solve real-life scenarios involving two intersecting lines. These types of problems often require finding the point of intersection, slope, and other properties of the lines.

2. How do I solve word problems about a pair of straight lines?

To solve these types of problems, you need to first identify the given information and what is being asked. Then, use the equations of the lines and any other relevant information to find the solution. It may also be helpful to sketch a graph to visualize the problem.

3. What are some common applications of word problems about a pair of straight lines?

Word problems about a pair of straight lines can be applied to various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the optimal production levels in a manufacturing plant or to determine the trajectory of a projectile.

4. What are some key concepts to understand when solving word problems about a pair of straight lines?

Some key concepts to understand include slope, point-slope form, slope-intercept form, and the properties of parallel and perpendicular lines. It is also important to know how to graph equations and how to use systems of equations to solve problems.

5. Are there any tips for solving word problems about a pair of straight lines?

One helpful tip is to carefully read the problem and make sure you understand what is being asked. It can also be useful to create a table or list of the given information and the unknowns. Additionally, double-check your work and make sure your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.