1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need your opinions on Zettili's solution of an exercise

1. Sep 29, 2015 #1
    image.jpeg 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (Uploaded photo from Zettili Quantum Mechanics - Chapter 3 - Solved problems 3.4 and 3.5)
    Check at problem 3.4 the relation that he gives between operator A and state φn.
    Now check the relation that he uses in problem 3.5 between A and φn again.
    They are different while on the announcement of prob 3.5 he does not mention any change of this relation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is there any misprint or am i that dumb that cannot understand some change of the relation that he implies?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think that's not a misprint for the answer of prob 3.5 follows as a consequence of the written relation between ##\hat{A}## and ##|\phi_n\rangle## in that problem. My guess is that he forgot that in the previous problem 3.4 he defined ##|\phi_n\rangle##'s as the eigenstates of ##\hat{A}##.

4. Sep 29, 2015 #3
    So, in problem 3.5 he probably wanted to change the relation between ##\hat{A}## and ##|\phi_n\rangle## to ##\hat{A}## ##|\phi_n\rangle## = n ##\alpha_o\ ## ##|\phi_{n+1}\rangle## (in order not to be anymore eigenstates of ##\hat{A}## ) but forgot to mention it?

5. Sep 30, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, probably.

6. Sep 30, 2015 #5
    Thanks for your response to my issue !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted