I on solving ∫e^(z^2)* fn(z) dz, where fn(z) =. .

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter T.Engineer
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 4K views
T.Engineer
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
I need to work on solving ∫e^(z^2)* fn(z) dz.

where fn(z) = d^n/dz^n * e^(-z^2).

Thanks a lot!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
T.Engineer said:
I need to work on solving ∫e^(z^2)* fn(z) dz.

where fn(z) = d^n/dz^n * e^(-z^2).

Thanks a lot!

Try working out (inductively) the form of fn(z).
 
cliowa said:
Try working out (inductively) the form of fn(z).

you mean to find the derivative for the
fn(z) = d^n/dz^n * e^(-z^2).

and then substitue it?
 
T.Engineer said:
you mean to find the derivative for the
fn(z) = d^n/dz^n * e^(-z^2).

and then substitue it?

Indeed, yes. Try f1, then f2 and so on to see what's going on.
 
cliowa said:
Indeed, yes. Try f1, then f2 and so on to see what's going on.

the derivative for e^-(Z^2) is
-2 Z e^-(z^2)

is not that true?
 
T.Engineer said:
the derivative for e^-(Z^2) is
-2 Z e^-(z^2)

is not that true?

Yes it is. Do you notice anything special about the integral?
 
cliowa said:
Yes it is. Do you notice anything special about the integral?

Now if I will substitute the derivative of fn(z)
Which is:
-2 z * e^(-z^2)
So, the integral equation will be like this:
-2 z * e^(z^2) * e^(-z^2) dz
here I get confused and I couldn’t find the integral?
 
T.Engineer said:
Now if I will substitute the derivative of fn(z)
Which is:
-2 z * e^(-z^2)
So, the integral equation will be like this:
-2 z * e^(z^2) * e^(-z^2) dz
here I get confused and I couldn’t find the integral?

What is [itex]e^{a}\cdot e^{b}[/itex] equal to?
 
cliowa said:
What is [itex]e^{a}\cdot e^{b}[/itex] equal to?

you mean it will be somthing like this
e^[(z^2)*(-z^2)]

or it maybe e^(a+b)
 
Last edited:
T.Engineer said:
you mean it will be somthing like this
e^[(z^2)*(-z^2)]

or it maybe e^(a+b)

There's no guessing involved there! It's [itex]e^a*e^b=e^{a+b}[/itex].
 
cliowa said:
There's no guessing involved there! It's [itex]e^a*e^b=e^{a+b}[/itex].

So, the integral it will be like this:
-2 Z dz

is not that right?
 
T.Engineer said:
So, the integral it will be like this:
-2 Z dz

is not that right?

That's correct.