I suddenly thought of this. acceleration vs velocity vectors

In summary: It may have a positive or negative velocity, but in the same direction as a.This is certainly true when the acceleration is constant. It is not true when the acceleration is not constant.In summary, when acceleration and velocity vectors are anti-parallel, it means the object is coming to a stop. In the case of a vertical object dropping, if |a| > |v|, the object will stop in a short amount of time and may hit the ground hard. If |a| < |v|, the object will take a longer time to stop and may reach a greater height. If |a| = |v|, the object will stop in exactly one second but will continue to move in the opposite direction
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I thought about this scenario last night. When your acceleration and velocity vector are anti-parallel, it means the object is coming to a stop.

But consider a vertical object dropping with the following vector diagram.

[PLAIN]http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9650/unledolt.png

What can you comment if

i) |a| > |v|
ii) |a| < |v|
iii) |a| = |v|

What if it was the other way around?

My thoughts

i) I am guessing the obj is being pulled back and will probably land hard...

ii) I am guessing the obj overcomes the force/acceleration and fly far and high

iii) I don't think it makes sense to say the obj stops in midair...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

I thought about this scenario last night. When your acceleration and velocity vector are anti-parallel, it means the object is coming to a stop.

But consider a vertical object dropping with the following vector diagram.

[PLAIN]http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9650/unledolt.png

What can you comment if

i) |a| > |v|
ii) |a| < |v|
iii) |a| = |v|

What if it was the other way around?

My thoughts

i) I am guessing the obj is being pulled back and will probably land hard...

ii) I am guessing the obj overcomes the force/acceleration and fly far and high

iii) I don't think it makes sense to say the obj stops in midair...

(i) if size of a > size of vel, it will stop in a short time. For example, you toss a tennis ball up from your hand at a speed of 1 m/s. Under the influence of gravity, where a = 9.8, the ball will stop after a few cm and return to your hand - but it won't hit hard - it will arrive back at approx 1 m/s.

(ii) if the size of velocity is greater than the size of the acceleration, the object will take several seconds to stop. If it was something fired up, it may reach a great height.

(iii) Not sure why you think this means the object has stopped in mid-air? if a = v then the object will stop in 1 second exactly.

When you toss a ball vertically into the air, at maximum height it has zero velocity, but still has acceleration of 9.8 down. That means it has zero velocity for only one instant of time - so doesn't meet the idea of stopping that most people have - like a car stopping at a STOP sign. It may only be stopped for a short time, but at least it is stationary for a second or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the velocity and acceleration are in opposite directions, depending on the situation, it could mean it's slowing down such as when you apply the brakes on a car. But in situations such as free fall it means at first in the vertical direction the object is going to slow down, then change directions and starts falling back down.

i) It takes less than a second for the object to slow down. Once it slows down completely, it changes direction.
ii) It takes more than one second for the object to slow down. Then it starts heading in the opposite direction.
iii) In exactly one second the object's velocity is zero, but after an instant it starts heading back down.

Hope this makes sense.

flyingpig said:
What can you comment if

i) |a| > |v|
ii) |a| < |v|
iii) |a| = |v|

Acceleration and velocity are different quantities, with different units. It makes no sense to compare there magnitudes.

You will have a much different comparison if you compare m/s and m/s than if you compare light-year/year, and light-year/year2, or one of my favorite combinations, ft/nano-sec and ft/ns2.

BTW: If v is upward, the object is moving upward, not dropping.

SammyS said:
Acceleration and velocity are different quantities, with different units. It makes no sense to compare there magnitudes.

You will have a much different comparison if you compare m/s and m/s than if you compare light-year/year, and light-year/year2, or one of my favorite combinations, ft/nano-sec and ft/ns2.

BTW: If v is upward, the object is moving upward, not dropping.

No, no, no. I am saying that yes it is going up, but the acceleration is stronger and it wants the object to come back down so that v (which is pointing up) will be force to point down wth the accerlation vector soon

flyingpig said:
No, no, no. I am saying that yes it is going up, but the acceleration is stronger and it wants the object to come back down so that v (which is pointing up) will be force to point down with the acceleration vector soon
OK. That is true.

I must also admit that looking at |v|/|a| is reasonable for the following reason.

If a is constant, then |v|/|a| gives the amount of time it takes for the velocity, v, to go to zero. After that, the object will be going in the same direction in which a points.

1. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity vectors?

Acceleration and velocity are both vector quantities that describe an object's motion. However, acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, while velocity is the rate of change of position. In other words, acceleration describes how quickly an object's velocity is changing, while velocity describes how quickly an object is moving.

2. How are acceleration and velocity vectors represented?

Acceleration and velocity vectors are typically represented graphically using arrows. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector. In addition, acceleration and velocity vectors are often represented mathematically using coordinate systems, such as the x-y coordinate system.

3. How can acceleration and velocity vectors be calculated?

In order to calculate acceleration and velocity vectors, you need to know the initial and final values for both quantities. For example, to calculate acceleration, you would divide the change in velocity (final velocity - initial velocity) by the change in time. To calculate velocity, you would divide the change in position (final position - initial position) by the change in time.

4. What is the relationship between acceleration and velocity vectors?

The relationship between acceleration and velocity vectors is that acceleration is the derivative of velocity. This means that acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In other words, the acceleration vector tells us how quickly the velocity vector is changing at a specific point in time.

5. How do acceleration and velocity vectors affect an object's motion?

Acceleration and velocity vectors play a crucial role in determining an object's motion. The acceleration vector determines how quickly the object's velocity changes, while the velocity vector determines the direction and speed of the object's motion. Both vectors must be considered in order to fully understand and predict an object's motion.