Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I the beginner have some general question

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    Keep in mind while reading all peaple who wish to learn must start somewhere i feel like a critique from peaple who know what there talking about might help feel free to tell me how wrong i am becouse i asume i am very wrong indeed

i am just starting out in my very very very minuet view and ideas on quantum physics i was wondering as far as graphing goes i understand how to graph a one dimentional figure as well as a two dimentional and a three you simply add an axis ( I.E third dimentional Z axis) so theoreticly could you graph a 5 diimentional figure even without the understanding of what a 5th dimentional figure would look like.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2
  4. Nov 5, 2012 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi pureinterest! welcome to pf! :smile:
    not really

any extra axis has to be perpendicular to all the others, and there's no way of representing that

but if the graph is of a body or field with a symmetry, then we can "suppress" the dimension which has the symmetry without losing much information …

for example, we often assume that a black hole is spherically symmetric, which enables us to represent its 4D space-time geometry with a 2D graph

5. Nov 5, 2012 #4
    that makes much more sense thank you

6. Nov 5, 2012 #5
    your looking at this too closed minded just because its only a pure math problem doesn't mean that it has no value to physics for instance E=MC^2 is only a math equation but what it stands for is where the meaning is

7. Nov 5, 2012 #6
    And just because it applies to physics doesn't mean it isn't a math problem. You're asking how to plot more than 2 dimensions on a plot. That is highly relevant to physics, but unless there is a specific physical phenomenon you are trying to represent, it is too general and falls in the domain of mathematics.
    tiny-tims provides a good example, you have 4 dimensions: time and 3 space, but the three space are the same, so you can represent it as only time and one space dimension.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook