I think it's my ignorance of not accepting that I can't do it, because

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ignorance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Homework Helper
Messages
3,802
Reaction score
95
I think it's my ignorance of not accepting that I can't do it, because I'm almost certain that it cannot be done, yet I'm still asking.

Anyway, can this equation be solved for m?

[tex]\frac{\pi}{n+1}=cos^{-1}\left(\frac{1-m}{\sqrt{1+m^2}}\right)+\frac{(m-1)\sqrt{2m}}{1+m^2}[/tex]

If it cannot be done (which I'm almost certain will be the case), for a given n, how can I still find the value for m? Be it a numerical value if it must...
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org


The equation can be simplified to
[tex] \frac{2\pi}{n+1}=\alpha-\sin\alpha[/tex]
where
[tex] \cos\frac{\alpha}{2}=\sqrt{\frac{2m}{1+m^2}}[/tex]
and then has to be solved numerically.

Please check if I didn't do a mistake.
 
Last edited: