1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I think my answer should be right, but it isn't energy problem

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A light rigid rod of length L has a mass m attached to its end, forming a simple pendulum. It is inverted and then released (I don't know what that's supposed to mean). What are:

a) the speed v at its lowest point
    b) the tension T in the suspension at that instant

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

at the beginning, when it is dropped down, we should have K = 0 and U = mgL

at the bottom when it is finished dropping, we should have K = 1/2mv^2 U = 0

1/2 mv^2 = mgl

v = sqrt(2gL)

but the book says 2sqrt(gl)...

what did I do wrong?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2
    I'm guessing "inverted" means the mass is a height L above the pivot point, so it's height above its lowest point is actually 2L rather than L

4. Jan 6, 2010 #3
    WOW. Thanks so much, I would never have known...

What about a "suspension"?

b) the tension T in the suspension at that instant..

Shouldn't it just be the negative weight? what answer book says 5mg.. :S

Thanks

5. Jan 6, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

the 'tension T in the suspension at that instant' means 'what is the tension in the rod when the mass is suspended by the rod at the low point of its motion (that is, upon returning to its original position before it was inverted, but this time with a speed associated with it). This becomes a centripetal acceleration question, the tension is not the negative of the weight, because it is accelerating inwardly. The sum of forces in the y direction is not 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook