Conservation of Net Mechanical Energy in SHM

In summary: E = \frac{1}{2}(m{v^2} + mgl{\theta ^2})$$The derivative of the equation for energy is not equal to zero, meaning that the energy is not conserved.
Habez
MENTOR Note: Thread moved here from Classical Physics hence no template

I have a question set that I need to be able to answer before my exam next month, I know how to answer all of them except this one. I get the feeling I'm being an idiot.

Show that the simple harmonic motion solution of the simple pendulum in the form $$\theta (t) = A\cos ({\omega _0}t)$$ (constant A) conserves net mechanical energy E = K + U.

I have the equation for E as [tex]E = \frac{1}{2}(m{v^2} + mgl{\theta ^2})[/tex]
I want to show its derivative is equal to 0 obviously. After I substitute in [tex]\theta \left( t \right)[/tex] and differentiate, I get [tex]\frac{{dE}}{{dt}} = \frac{{{A^2}mgl{\omega _0}\sin (2{\omega _0}t)}}{2}[/tex]

Which is not 0... What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Habez said:
Which is not 0... What am I doing wrong?
(m.v.v )' is not 0, v changes with time
here is derivation---
te= ke + pe
= (i.w.w/2) + (c.theta.theta/2)
=(i.w0.w0.a.a.(sin(w0.t)^2). 0.5) + (c.a.a.(cos(w0.t)^2)/2) (since w=theta' , so w= -w0.A.sin(w0.t)
=(c.a.a.(sin(w0.t)^2)/2) +(c.a.a.(cos(w0.t)^2)/2) (since w0=(c/i)^0.5 , so c=i.w0.w0)
=ca.a/2 (which is a const)

hackhard said:
(m.v.v )' is not 0, v changes with time
here is derivation---
te= ke + pe
= (i.w.w/2) + (c.theta.theta/2)
=(i.w0.w0.a.a.(sin(w0.t)^2). 0.5) + (c.a.a.(cos(w0.t)^2)/2) (since w=theta' , so w= -w0.A.sin(w0.t)
=(c.a.a.(sin(w0.t)^2)/2) +(c.a.a.(cos(w0.t)^2)/2) (since w0=(c/i)^0.5 , so c=i.w0.w0)
=ca.a/2 (which is a const)
I'm sorry, I can't see what you're saying as I am struggling to see what you have wrote. $${{dE} \over {dt}}$$ has to be equal to 0 so that there is no change in the total energy, i.e. energy is conserved - right?

I guess in your notation
$$v=\dot{\theta}=-A \omega_0 \sin(\omega_0 t).$$
Plug this into the formula for the energy and remember what's ##\omega_0## in terms of the other parameters in the problem.

1. What is the definition of net mechanical energy in simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

Net mechanical energy in SHM refers to the total energy of a system, which includes both kinetic energy (the energy of motion) and potential energy (the energy stored due to the position of an object). In SHM, the net mechanical energy remains constant throughout the motion, as energy is transferred between kinetic and potential forms.

2. How is the conservation of net mechanical energy related to SHM?

The conservation of net mechanical energy is a fundamental principle in SHM. It states that the total energy of a system remains constant, meaning that the sum of kinetic and potential energy remains the same at all points in the motion. This is because the forces in SHM are conservative, meaning they do not dissipate energy.

3. What is the equation for net mechanical energy in SHM?

The equation for net mechanical energy in SHM is E = 1/2kA^2, where E is the net mechanical energy, k is the spring constant, and A is the amplitude of the motion. This equation shows that the net mechanical energy is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude, meaning that a larger amplitude results in a higher net mechanical energy.

4. How does the conservation of net mechanical energy affect the amplitude of SHM?

The conservation of net mechanical energy states that the total energy of a system remains constant. Therefore, as the amplitude of SHM decreases, the kinetic energy decreases, but the potential energy increases, keeping the net mechanical energy constant. This means that the amplitude of SHM has no effect on the conservation of net mechanical energy.

5. How does friction or other external factors affect the conservation of net mechanical energy in SHM?

Friction or other external factors, such as air resistance, can cause the transfer of energy between kinetic and potential forms to be less efficient. This means that the net mechanical energy may not remain constant, and the amplitude of the motion may decrease over time. However, the conservation of net mechanical energy still applies, as the total energy of the system remains constant, but some of it is lost to external factors.