1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Net Mechanical Energy in SHM

1. May 12, 2016 #1
    MENTOR Note: Thread moved here from Classical Physics hence no template

I have a question set that I need to be able to answer before my exam next month, I know how to answer all of them except this one. I get the feeling I'm being an idiot.

Show that the simple harmonic motion solution of the simple pendulum in the form $$\theta (t) = A\cos ({\omega _0}t)$$ (constant A) conserves net mechanical energy E = K + U.

I have the equation for E as [tex]E = \frac{1}{2}(m{v^2} + mgl{\theta ^2})[/tex]
    I want to show its derivative is equal to 0 obviously. After I substitute in [tex]\theta \left( t \right)[/tex] and differentiate, I get [tex]\frac{{dE}}{{dt}} = \frac{{{A^2}mgl{\omega _0}\sin (2{\omega _0}t)}}{2}[/tex]

Which is not 0... What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2016 #2
    (m.v.v )' is not 0, v changes with time
    here is derivation---
    te= ke + pe
    = (i.w.w/2) + (c.theta.theta/2)
    =(i.w0.w0.a.a.(sin(w0.t)^2). 0.5) + (c.a.a.(cos(w0.t)^2)/2) (since w=theta' , so w= -w0.A.sin(w0.t)
    =(c.a.a.(sin(w0.t)^2)/2) +(c.a.a.(cos(w0.t)^2)/2) (since w0=(c/i)^0.5 , so c=i.w0.w0)
    =ca.a/2 (which is a const)

4. May 12, 2016 #3
    I'm sorry, I can't see what you're saying as I am struggling to see what you have wrote. $${{dE} \over {dt}}$$ has to be equal to 0 so that there is no change in the total energy, i.e. energy is conserved - right?

5. May 13, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I guess in your notation
    $$v=\dot{\theta}=-A \omega_0 \sin(\omega_0 t).$$
    Plug this into the formula for the energy and remember what's ##\omega_0## in terms of the other parameters in the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted