Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I use c to program. plot them with other software like IDL or origin.

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1
    I use c to program. Usually, I write the data to files and plot them with other software like IDL or origin. but I really tired of it, since i need open a file thousands times while debug.

Is there any better method to plot the data. which methods do you use?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2009 #2
    Re: plot

Yes there is a much better way. I too have had to do the same thing until I found a solution in Numerical Recipes 3rd Edition. You will have to purchase the book or the source code but chapter 22 has a PSplot and PSpage routine that can be used to create graphs that open up automatically in a pop up window. You will need to download the GSview.exe from Ghostview also. The book is really worth the price.

Hope this helps.

4. Aug 7, 2009 #3

You can write data to a file, then from your C program run a separate program to generate a graph from the file and open it in a window. I use gnuplot.

5. Aug 7, 2009 #4

Get gnuplot. Learn how to run external programs from c. Make a function that writes a temp file and run gnuplot over it.

6. Sep 22, 2009 #5

Thx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook