Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Open source software for integer programming

1. Jul 12, 2018 #1
    I don't usually need help in locating software, but I'm having a heck of a time tracking down a good open-source bit of software which solves integer programming problems using arbitrary precision! If I don't find one soon, I'll need to write it myself. Which I don't mind, but it's silly to reinvent the wheel. Besides, the sooner I finish my current math project, the sooner I can get back to physics projects.

I'm using GLPK right now, and it's brilliant up to a point. I could hack on it to make it do what I want regarding big integers, but I prefer not to need to spend the time. So if someone knows about a quick solution, I would appreciate the help.

BTW I have implemented a pure binary solver, but that's not exactly what I need. Not every variable is binary. I think I see a way to overcome this, but once again, I hate spending time on software if it's already available. But it must be free and open source.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2018 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Have you tried Sage? It can do arbitrary precision integer arithmetic.

4. Jul 12, 2018 #3
    Thanks, I will check it out! I look forward to other suggestions as well.

p.s. Here's one example of the use of linear programming in physics. It's a fascinating mathematical technique with a huge variety of applications.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0196885887900224

I did come across this reference from Sandia, but it's a bit dated now. Things change fast.

This link opens a PDF.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...3/138847.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0gW8RQLcRX_zipJKcnksdX

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  5. Jul 13, 2018 #4
    Never mind. I have solved this problem without using any 3rd party software.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted