1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Open source software for integer programming

1. Jul 12, 2018 #1
    I don't usually need help in locating software, but I'm having a heck of a time tracking down a good open-source bit of software which solves integer programming problems using arbitrary precision! If I don't find one soon, I'll need to write it myself. Which I don't mind, but it's silly to reinvent the wheel. Besides, the sooner I finish my current math project, the sooner I can get back to physics projects.

I'm using GLPK right now, and it's brilliant up to a point. I could hack on it to make it do what I want regarding big integers, but I prefer not to need to spend the time. So if someone knows about a quick solution, I would appreciate the help.

BTW I have implemented a pure binary solver, but that's not exactly what I need. Not every variable is binary. I think I see a way to overcome this, but once again, I hate spending time on software if it's already available. But it must be free and open source.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2018 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Have you tried Sage? It can do arbitrary precision integer arithmetic.

4. Jul 12, 2018 #3
    Thanks, I will check it out! I look forward to other suggestions as well.

p.s. Here's one example of the use of linear programming in physics. It's a fascinating mathematical technique with a huge variety of applications.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0196885887900224

I did come across this reference from Sandia, but it's a bit dated now. Things change fast.

This link opens a PDF.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...3/138847.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0gW8RQLcRX_zipJKcnksdX

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  5. Jul 13, 2018 #4
    Never mind. I have solved this problem without using any 3rd party software.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted