Building a Robot: How to Get Started with Robotics Kits

In summary, the Boe-Bot is a good starter kit with easy to follow instructions, but is not meant for serious programming.
Rhine720
So I know little about engineering. But I do know a thing or two about programming in c++ now. I've disassembled many electronics (MANYMANYMANY) IN my house. Like we have all sorts of things I could just take apart.

Since I know little about robots and engineering them I decided I'd also purchase a robotics kit. So I'm looking for one withen the 200-400 range.

I want to be able to build a robot that I can upgrade all my life. (Ultimatly as my programming and engineering knowledge develops I can make something very helpful out of it)

I havn't started college yet so..yeah. Can anyone give me an overview or something? Good kits? How robots work? What these green boards are? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
This website has a lot of resources you might find useful. From what I can tell it can be less or more expensive based on your expertise.

http://www.arrickrobotics.com/arobot/build.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you go building anything you need some basic skills first. Can you solder (SMD and throughole), program a microcontroller, design basic analog and digital circuits? If you can't you may want to start small with something like this http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9501

I got the fever a few days ago, but I'm to frugal to go buy a kit. So I spent the money on all the stuff I would need to build my own. Based it on the bot at the link below. You'll want to look into "BEAM robotics" for some true DIY stuff. BTW, the smaller the wheels on the bot, the better. I thought I'd like it to go fast, I've had to repair it numerous times on account of damage from running head on into the wall. Well, that and the dog doesn't seem to like the little bot. The next project is a simple walker, then I'll see about moving into something that needs code and a controller. After that, THE WORLD!

http://members.tripod.com/robomaniac_2001/id120.htm

I would recommend looking at these two websites:

http://www.parallax.com/
http://www.crustcrawler.com/

Crust Crawler used to make some very cool crawler robots but it seems that they have since discontinued them. Still, they have some good servos, and their http://www.crustcrawler.com/products/bioloid/index.php?prod=59" might be right up your alley if you don't want a "rolling" robot. It can't really make use of sensors or uneven terrain though...

Parallax is an excellent website that sells simple robots, and TONS of hobby-grade robotic components like sensor modules, control boards, etc. The http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots/RollingRobots/tabid/128/CategoryID/3/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/296/Default.aspx", which comes with two robots and a competition ring. It's still in your price range, and would allow you to try out different strategies and tactics and hone your programming skills.

Thanks guys for all these links... So, I've taken a look at the Boe-Bot. And I think one or two people here mentioned it. If I were to buy this kit ( I also want to add the crawler and gripper kit to it) How much would I be learning from it? Or should I get a more "difficult" kit?

If i get really into it (like it turns out i like it and am good at it(after all I do consider both computer science and engineering for my future) I might want to build professionally one day. Of course I'll start out small.. Thanks again! =]

Rhine720 said:
Thanks guys for all these links... So, I've taken a look at the Boe-Bot. And I think one or two people here mentioned it. If I were to buy this kit ( I also want to add the crawler and gripper kit to it) How much would I be learning from it? Or should I get a more "difficult" kit?

If i get really into it (like it turns out i like it and am good at it(after all I do consider both computer science and engineering for my future) I might want to build professionally one day. Of course I'll start out small.. Thanks again! =]

The Boe-Bot is an excellent learnig kit with very good instructions, i found if one stage didnt work it was my fault the book is very well put together.
No need for soldering as all the circuits are on bread board, it will never be more than a toy, but you can get some good ideas for your own project.

I noticed the programming on it was like PBasic or something like that. I looked it up on google and apparently it is a really good starter kit. But I only know things about c++ and don't really want to learn another language and start getting them all tangled. Is there a programming language most used for robotics?

Rhine720 said:
I noticed the programming on it was like PBasic or something like that. I looked it up on google and apparently it is a really good starter kit. But I only know things about c++ and don't really want to learn another language and start getting them all tangled. Is there a programming language most used for robotics?

You should get away from thinking of programming languages like foreign languages; if you know the basics of programming in general, then it will just be a matter of finding the command that does what you want. It's good that you know C++, and don't worry because the Basic programming language used by the Boe-Bot is very simplistic in comparison and can be learned on the fly with a command reference and a few examples.

You could get a cheap laptop or Nano-ITX motherboard and use USB Servos and sensors.

Hi, you could try looking at "Instructables.com and searching their archives,there is loads of stuff on there and lots of alternative ways of doing things!

Hmm. I found this website and this http://letsmakerobots.com/start [Broken]

Do you think that bot would be more invaluable to learning as a starter than a boe bot?

1. What are the basic components needed for building a robot?

The basic components needed for building a robot include a microcontroller, motors, sensors, power source, and structural materials such as metal or plastic. You will also need tools like screwdrivers, pliers, and wire cutters to assemble the robot.

2. Do I need any prior programming experience to build a robot?

While prior programming experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to build a robot. Many robotics kits come with pre-written code that you can use to get started. You can also find online resources and tutorials to learn basic programming skills for your specific robot kit.

3. How do I choose the right robotics kit for my project?

When choosing a robotics kit, consider the purpose of your project, your budget, and your level of experience. Some kits are designed for specific tasks, such as line following or obstacle avoidance, while others are more versatile. Research different kits and read reviews to find one that best fits your needs.

4. How long does it take to build a robot?

The time it takes to build a robot will vary depending on the complexity of the kit and your level of experience. Some basic kits can be assembled in a few hours, while more advanced kits may take several days or weeks to complete. It is important to take your time and follow instructions carefully to ensure a functioning robot.

5. Can I customize my robot after it is built?

Yes, many robotics kits allow for customization and expansion after the initial build. You can add additional sensors, motors, and other components to enhance your robot's capabilities. Some kits also have open-source code, allowing you to modify and improve upon the existing program. Be sure to research the compatibility of any additional components before making modifications.