1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want check A , B in two questions .

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    Hi all

I want check A , B in two questions .

Attached Files:

• 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      File size:
      33.3 KB
      Views:
    • 22.JPG
      22.JPG
      File size:
      27.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

In the grand canyon question, part a) was done correctly but b) was not. Try summing the series again.

The next question is completely wrong, its not even an arithmetic series because the difference of consecutive terms is not constant. Try again.

4. Mar 5, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

You used the formula in part 1B incorrectly. And please, I can't stress enough how important it is to check if your answer seems reasonable.

The formula for a sum of an arithmetic series:

[tex]S_n=a+(a+d)+(a+2d)+...+(a+(n-1)d)=\frac{n}{2}\left(2a+(n-1)d\right)[/tex]

Since you're looking for the distance travelled in 9 seconds, you're looking for [itex]S_9[/itex]. You substituted [itex]n=T_9[/itex] rather than n=9.

And honestly, look at how ridiculous your answer seems: [itex]15+45+75+...+255 = 975,375[/itex]

So a penny falls 1 million feet in 9 seconds?

5. Mar 5, 2010 #4
    Thanks

Now I understand

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook