Find the value of ##a, b## and ##k## in the problem involving graphs

chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Graphs
1700644817610.png

In my approach i have the roots of the equation being ##x=a## and ##x=b##.

There are two assumptions,
In the first assumption,

##a=\dfrac{1}{2}b##

##2a=b##

then,

##4=k(-a)^2(-2a)##

##4=-2ka^3##

##⇒ -2=ka^3##

Now since ##2a=b## then ##a=1, b=2⇒k=-2##.

our equation becomes,

##f(x)=-2(x-1)^2(x-2)##

checking using,

##f(1.5)=-2(1.5-1)^2(1.5-2)=0.25>0##

Now to the second assumption,
Let

##b=\dfrac{1}{2}a##

##2b=a##

then,

##4=k(-2b)^2(-b)##

##4=-4kb^3##

##⇒ -1=kb^3##

Now since ##2b=a## then ##b=1, a=2 ⇒k=-1##.

Our equation becomes,

##f(x)=-1(x-2)^2(x-1)##

checking using,

##f(1.5)=-2(1.5-1)^2(1.5-2)=-0.125 <0## which is a contradiction as ##y## is positive between the roots ##x=1## and ##x=2##.
Therefore the second assumption does not apply. We shall therefore have the unknown values given by:

##a=1, b=2, k=-2##.

There may be a better approach.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement: See attached
Relevant Equations: Graphs

View attachment 335943

In my approach i have the roots of the equation being ##x=a## and ##x=b##.

There are two possibilities,
In the first possibility,

##a=\dfrac{1}{2}b##

##2a=b##

then,

##4=k(-a)^2(-2a)##

##4=-2ka^3##

##⇒ -2=ka^3##

Now since ##2a=b## then ##a=1, b=2⇒k=-2##.

our equation becomes,

##f(x)=-2(x-1)^2(x-2)##

checking using,

##f(1.5)=-2(1.5-1)^2(1.5-2)=0.25>0##

Now to the second possibility,
Let

##b=\dfrac{1}{2}a##

##2b=a##

then,

##4=k(-2b)^2(-b)##

##4=-4kb^3##

##⇒ -1=kb^3##

Now since ##2b=a## then ##b=1, a=2 ⇒k=-1##.

Our equation becomes,

##f(x)=-1(x-2)^2(x-1)##

checking using,

##f(1.5)=-2(1.5-1)^2(1.5-2)=-0.125 <0## which is a contradiction as ##y## is positive between the roots ##x=1## and ##x=2##.

Therefore,

##a=1, b=2, k=-2##.

There may be a better approach.
Did you graph your answers to see which is right?

Hint: Double roots "touch" the x-axis, whereas single roots cross it.

Which is your double root?

-Dan

Likes e_jane and chwala
topsquark said:
Did you graph your answers to see which is right?

Hint: Double roots "touch" the x-axis, whereas single roots cross it.

Which is your double root?

-Dan
I think i have shown that the second possibility does not apply thus we can only have the first possibility as the correct approach.
Kindly follow my working.

chwala said:
I think i have shown that the second possibility does not apply thus we can only have the first possibility as the correct approach.
Kindly follow my working.
You asked for a better method. What Dan's saying is that ##\dfrac{dy}{dx}(x=a) = 0##, so the double root at ##x = a## is a turning point. That gives you ##a = 1## directly.

Likes chwala and topsquark
@chwala, your solution is much more long-winded than is necessary. One can see by inspection of the graph that a = 1 and b = 2. The equation is therefore ##y = k(x - 1)^2(x - 2)##.
Since the y-intercept is 4, k can be determined by solving the equation 4 = k(-1)(-2).

Likes chwala, SammyS and topsquark
Mark44 said:
@chwala, your solution is much more long-winded than is necessary. One can see by inspection of the graph that a = 1 and b = 2. The equation is therefore ##y = k(x - 1)^2(x - 2)##.
Since the y-intercept is 4, k can be determined by solving the equation 4 = k(-1)(-2).
I do not think it was that straightforward. How to answer the question on script (by inspection )if it was an exam question? ...using complete square knowledge to justify ##a## as a turning point of graph I suppose.
Cheers man.

chwala said:
I do not think it was that straightforward. How to answer the question on script (by inspection )if it was an exam question?
It was straightforward to me. You were given the equation ##y = k(x - a)^2(x - b)## and shown that the graph has x-intercepts at x = 1 and x = 2. I'm assuming that these are the exact values, and I'm sure that was the intent of the writer of this problem.

The facts that 1) the graph had a parabolic shape that opened upward near x = 1 and 2) crossed the x-axis at x = 2, told me that the quadratic factor had to be ##(x - 1)^2## and that the linear factor had to be ##(x - 2)##. Being able to recognize the behavior of low-degree polynomials is a skill that is often taught as part of precalculus courses.
chwala said:
.using complete square knowledge to justify a as a turning point of graph I suppose.
Completing the square, if that's what you meant above, isn't helpful. The equation is already given as a product of factors.

Likes SammyS, topsquark and PeroK

1. How do I find the value of a, b, and k in a graph problem?

To find the values of a, b, and k in a graph problem, you can start by analyzing the given graph and identifying key points such as intercepts, maxima, minima, and points of inflection. By using these points and the properties of the function, you can set up equations and solve for the unknown variables.

2. What are the common methods used to determine the values of a, b, and k in a graph problem?

Common methods used to determine the values of a, b, and k in a graph problem include setting up equations based on the properties of the function, using the slope-intercept form of a linear equation, applying transformations to basic graphs, and utilizing calculus techniques such as differentiation or integration.

3. Can I use software or graphing calculators to find the values of a, b, and k in a graph problem?

Yes, you can use software programs like Desmos, GeoGebra, or graphing calculators to graph the function and visually analyze the key points to determine the values of a, b, and k. These tools can also help you verify your calculations and provide a visual representation of the solution.

4. Are there any tips or strategies for efficiently solving for the values of a, b, and k in a graph problem?

Some tips for efficiently solving for the values of a, b, and k in a graph problem include carefully analyzing the graph to identify key points, using symmetry properties to simplify calculations, breaking down the problem into smaller steps, and checking your work by plugging the values back into the original equation.

5. What should I do if I am stuck or unable to find the values of a, b, and k in a graph problem?

If you are stuck or unable to find the values of a, b, and k in a graph problem, it can be helpful to revisit the properties of the function, seek assistance from a teacher or tutor, collaborate with peers to brainstorm solutions, or explore alternative approaches such as using different coordinate systems or transforming the graph in a different way.