I want to be an Astrophysics professor

In summary, Serway/Jewett's advice is to first earn a bachelor's degree in physics before enrolling in a PhD program to study astrophysics.
TJG
This has been something I have wanted to do for a long time, but have never really pursued it. I have taken some courses randomly, but nothing applicable to the degrees I need to get there I am positive. So basically my question is where do I start this very long journey??

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: PhD in Astrophysics.

Step 1a: take some calculus and basic physics classes.

HAha well yeah I figured that. If that is step one I guess I was looking for 1.1.1 of step one.

Step 1.1.1 Buy "Calculus" by Spivak and read it all
Step 1.1.2 Buy "Physics for engineers and scientists" and read it all

Come back once you did that :smile:

And why is this posted in the general math forums??

If you've taken "some courses randomly", you sound like you're in college already. Therefore, you must have an idea as to how to become an astrophysics professor. What question do you REALLY want to ask?

Thanks, I check out those books. I figured I would probably need to look into what courses are required to receive a BS in mathematic or something along those lines.

I just took a few at a community college, but the professors there just handed out some worksheets and didn't really teach anything so I just quit going.

I figured I would probably need to look into what courses are required to receive a BS in mathematic or something along those lines.

Physics instead. Mathematics degrees leads to mathematician professorships, not astrophysics professorships. My advice: Enroll in a college of your choice as a freshman physics student and try to enjoy yourself for the next two decades.

Well, attending the classes that you registered for would be a good start.

TJG said:
I just took a few at a community college, but the professors there just handed out some worksheets and didn't really teach anything so I just quit going.

This sounds like me in high school :) My advice would be to go to classes like Vanadium said and do EVERYTHING for every class and do it to the best of your ability as much as you can...even the stupid assignments. Study interesting things aside from what you are learning as well. Read the "So you want to be a physicist" series by ZapperZ, because it really explains things in detail as it pertains to obtaining degrees in physics. I'll get the link and post it here for you.

Here is the link!
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792

OK, I'll see if I can be more helpful.

1. Earn a bachelors degree. A physics major is best, astronomy double major or minor is good but not necessary. You'll need a lot of math, and a programming course or two is very useful. Spend your summers doing research at your college or others (look up REU programs) to get experience for grad school and to make sure you really want to do research for the rest of your life, because professors do a lot of research.

2. Enroll in a PhD program and earn a masters en route. Drop out rate is about 50%. A PhD in physics is the best way to go if you can study astrophysics for it; it's a lot more employable than an astronomy or astrophysics degree.

3. 1-6 years in postdoc; a temporary (1-5 year) research position where you try to publish as much as possible and build up your collaborations.

4. Apply for faculty positions. About a 20% chance of getting one.

5. Either work 60+ hours a week for the next 5-10 years to earn tenure or leave the field to make far more money in industry.

micromass said:
Step 1.1.2 Buy "Physics for engineers and scientists" and read it all

Serway/ Jewett?

1. What qualifications do I need to become an Astrophysics professor?

To become an Astrophysics professor, you will typically need to have a Ph.D. in Astrophysics or a related field such as Physics or Astronomy. You will also need to have a strong background in mathematics, research experience, and teaching experience.

2. How long does it take to become an Astrophysics professor?

It typically takes around 8-10 years to become an Astrophysics professor. This includes 4 years of undergraduate studies, 2-3 years of graduate studies to obtain a Ph.D., and 2-3 years of postdoctoral research and teaching experience.

3. What skills are important to have as an Astrophysics professor?

Some important skills to have as an Astrophysics professor include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, excellent communication and teaching skills, and the ability to conduct independent research. It is also important to have a passion for the subject and a desire to continuously learn and stay updated on new discoveries and advancements in the field.

4. What types of research do Astrophysics professors typically do?

Astrophysics professors often conduct research in a wide range of areas, such as cosmology, planetary science, astrophysical fluid dynamics, and stellar evolution. They may also use a variety of tools and techniques, including telescopes, computer simulations, and mathematical modeling, to study the universe and its components.

5. What career opportunities are available for Astrophysics professors?

Astrophysics professors can pursue various career paths, including teaching and research positions at universities and colleges, government agencies, and private research institutions. They may also have the opportunity to collaborate with other scientists and participate in global research projects and missions. Additionally, some Astrophysics professors may choose to work in science communication or policy roles, using their expertise to educate and inform the public about space and the universe.