I want to become a Science Teacher, but

  • Thread starter Thread starter Poma
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Science Teacher
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Poma
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I hope this is in the right place.

For a long time I did not know what I wanted to do as a career. I went to college and got a BA in English because I really enjoyed reading and writing. I am very proud and happy with my education, but I have an issue. I wish to become a Science teacher in a high school setting. I have had a life-long enthusiasm and enjoyment of Astronomy and that would be the subject I would like to teach (Physics as well. I'm aware that high schools don't hire just Astronomy teachers.) Does anyone have any advice about how to approach my education? I don't know if I need to get a BA/MA in Education as well as at least a BS in Astronomy/Physics, or if I can just take the bachelor's for Astronomy and become licensed some way else? I would love to go back to school but that is a lot of education to go through again and money as well. Any suggestions?
I'm mainly focusing on teaching in Pennsylvania at the moment and for the sake of the question since I know each state has different requirements.
Thanks for your time!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
At the minimum i would think you would have to take the core req's to teach high school physics. At my school that includes calc1,2, calc based physics 1-2, Modern physics and some general science (chem, bio, genetics) classes. http://www.swosu.edu/resources/catalog/undergrad/cpgs/natural-science-education.aspx
Reqs may differ from school to school
 
Last edited by a moderator:
At my university there is an optional course (in pedagogy & education psychology) available that lasts throughout our 4-year undergrad program, that will eventually enable us to teach math, science and related disciplines to middle school & junior high students. (Completion of graduate studies unlocks the option to teach to HS seniors & maybe undergrads). There are only 4 hours per week of lectures & tutorials, and next year we'll get the opportunity to get teaching experience with actual students. Check out your school's course list for similar programs.
 
Information on what you have to do is here: https://www.teach.org/state-certifications?province=PA
 
Last edited by a moderator: