*I want to build my first robot - Got a few questions.

In summary, the conversation was about building a first robot and seeking tips for someone with no experience in robotics. The group recommended starting with a robot kit, specifically the JCM Samri Sumo Robot Kit, and suggested getting experience with a Lego Mindstorm set. They also mentioned a website, www.teammass5.tk, for building a combat robot and discussed a project involving a prosthetic arm controlled by myoelectric sensors.
nukeman
Hey everyone,

Well, I want to build my first robot, and for learning reasons I thought I would pick up a robot kit. Is that a good idea?

Any tips for someone who wants to build their first robot, and get there feet wet? I have NO experience building robots, but its always been a passion.

Is this a good one/type to start with?

http://www.robotshop.ca/jcm-samri-sumo-robot-kit.html

Any tips would be fantastic?

Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
looks like a good start. Life is somewhat a trial and error so try it .

I can recommend getting experience with a Lego Mindstorm set, which, last time I looked, has a large community and is often used in robotics introductory courses.

Hi nukeman..
Well, I have some hands on experience in robotics. Well If you want to build a combat robot then visit www.teammass5.tk It has some basics and I hope It'll be useful.
Best Luck!

hi.. well this is my first time i am doing a robot for my final year project .. i am making a prosthetic arm, controlled by the brain using myoelectric sensors. it is very exciting project.

1. How do I start building my first robot?

The first step to building your first robot is to do some research and gather information on the different components and tools you will need. You can also find tutorials and guides online to help you get started.

2. What components do I need to build a robot?

The components you will need depend on the type of robot you want to build. However, some common components include a microcontroller, motors, sensors, and power supply. It's important to research and plan the specific components you will need for your robot.

3. Do I need any programming experience to build a robot?

While programming experience can be helpful, it is not always necessary. There are many beginner-friendly robotics kits that provide pre-written code, making it easier for those without programming experience to build and program their first robot.

4. How long does it take to build a robot?

The time it takes to build a robot can vary depending on the complexity of the robot and your level of experience. It could take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks. It's important to be patient and take your time to ensure your robot is built correctly.

5. How can I troubleshoot problems with my robot?

If you encounter any issues with your robot, a good first step is to check all connections and make sure everything is properly connected. You can also consult online forums and communities for help, or reach out to the manufacturer for support.